Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Washing Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
i got a sponge from the auto store that i use for washing that has a super soft side and then the other side looks king of like a nylon web, kind of hard to describe, but it does such a good job at getting the bugs off, a little soap and water to lube it and a little rubbing and they come off.

I got a similar sponge today. Worked great on the bug guts!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:35 PM

Has anyone tried Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal? I just purchased a 2009 HHR LT. The paint feels rough so I thought I would clay it first. I've been reading everything you all say about washing and detailing but it can be confusing.

Zaino says, "...and seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes, Z-3 Show Car Polish for Non-clear Coated Paint..."

How do I know whether my car has clear coated car finish or non-clear coated paint? Whatever I do will need to be easy; I'm physically challenged but my HHR deserves quality treatment. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 PM

I'm pretty sure there will be no HHRs around without clear coats... no worries!!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:27 AM

Thank you, Chris!!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 PM

Anytime

Any thing
Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Southerner
Has anyone tried Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal? I just purchased a 2009 HHR LT. The paint feels rough so I thought I would clay it first. I've been reading everything you all say about washing and detailing but it can be confusing.

Zaino says, "...and seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes, Z-3 Show Car Polish for Non-clear Coated Paint..."

How do I know whether my car has clear coated car finish or non-clear coated paint? Whatever I do will need to be easy; I'm physically challenged but my HHR deserves quality treatment. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
i would say for a low physical labor wash and wax, i would use mcguire's car shampoo then mother reflections wax (super easy to get on and off) then mothers top coat then whatever leather treatment you prefer for the tires (i think it looks better than tire treatment).

and between wax jobs, i would use mothers reflections spray way (different from the regular reflections wax. it is for between full wax jobs. this is the only detailing product i actually keep in my cars along with a mf towel). you can do the whole car in under 10 minutes.

microfiber is your friend!

if you are physically challenged, i would pay someone to do your winterizing coat in november. not as easy. if you can find it, Collinite Insulator Wax #845 is awesome.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM

wolfgang products are actually better, but mothers reflections are physically easier.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Wow, I just realized something. I have vowed to only hand-wash my new HHR, which has been working great. But I just realized that I won't be able to do that in the winter (Chicagoland).

What do you northern guys do in the winter?? Do you take it to the high-pressure place and CAREFULLY rinse it off, soap it up, and hand wash it (in 10 below zero?)

Or do you bite the bullet during the winter and pay $25 each time you want it hand-washed at a car wash? (AND trust they won't mess up your paint?)

I should point out that I already half-jokingly said I didn't want to drive it in the winter. But now I'm really considering it. My wife won't like that, though, being down to one car. But heck, even if I could cut my HHR driving 50% in the winter it would help a lot.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by tomdice
What do u clean or how do u care for the black rubber around the windows?
Thanks Tommy L.......... Love my HHR................ &&&&&&& are the under lights legal in Fl????
I go with Adam's SuperVRT (Vinyl Rubber Tire) product. Wipe it on, dries fast, water repellent, and NOT GREASY or oily, so it doesn't collect dirt. It has a satin finish at the most, which can be knocked down with a quick wipe of a cloth (I do this on my sidewalls).

And the SuperVRT doesn't sling off the tires onto your wheel wells and paint. Gives the tires the same finish as they had when they were new. Works for me.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM

My dad has a heated garage, so I can wash cars all I want in warmth! Of course, I drive my Lumina in the winter though.

Quick Reply: Washing Your HHR