Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Water pump or engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 06:30 PM

Water pump or engine swap?

Hey all, new here but I picked up a ‘09 HHR LS with the 2.2L, had some leaking coolant the other day and the shop said I needed a new water pump (checks out cause I’m about to hit 200k). The first shop couldn’t do the work so I took it to a dealership knowing I’d be overpaying but I just wanted it done. Well the dealership told me they couldn’t replace the pump cause it would cause too much pressure and the repair would likely kill the engine. First, are they serious? Second, what are my options? I’m already looking at engines but before I go through with that I want to see if anyone here knows what they’re talking about.

I only got the car last year and it works perfect for what I need, so I’d rather sink money into it if I can get another 100k+ out of it.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:19 PM

to the forums!!

I call BS on that dealer. Get a kit with both the ignition timing set and the balance shaft timing set, should be available with a water pump included. Oldblue should be along soon, he's got the part number for the kit.

Probably a good idea to perform a compression test first, make sure your engine isn't worn out. The testers are available as loaners at the auto parts store. You buy it and have, I think, 90 days to return it for a full refund.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350

I call BS on that dealer
that’s what I was thinking. I’ve got a lead on another shop nearby that I’ll pass all the information to. they didn’t specify that they did a compression test, but maybe that’s what’s up. Cause I was just talking to the service writer and I know they’re masters at the bs.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Podge
Hey all, new here but I picked up a ‘09 HHR LS with the 2.2L, had some leaking coolant the other day and the shop said I needed a new water pump (checks out cause I’m about to hit 200k). The first shop couldn’t do the work so I took it to a dealership knowing I’d be overpaying but I just wanted it done. Well the dealership told me they couldn’t replace the pump cause it would cause too much pressure and the repair would likely kill the engine. First, are they serious? Second, what are my options? I’m already looking at engines but before I go through with that I want to see if anyone here knows what they’re talking about.

I only got the car last year and it works perfect for what I need, so I’d rather sink money into it if I can get another 100k+ out of it.
What dealer told you this crap.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:56 PM

What does a compression test have to do with a leaking water pump?
Service writers are salesmen, no knowledge of mechanics is required.
Pretty hard to believe they didn''t give you the "got to do the $200 diagnostic".

They get 4.5 hours labor and $251 parts for a 2 hour #30 job.
Probably not the pump the weep hole is at the top in a hole. More likely the O-ring is loose.
Don' t go in saying "I need a water pump". Just say "there is a puddle of water under my car". Let the shop figure out what work is needed.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:02 PM

The compression test is because 200,000 miles.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Podge, welcome to the site, to replace the water pump only there is a special tool , which can cause problems with the balance shaft chain. At your mileage it would be prudent to replace the timing chain and tge water pump at the same time.

Donbrew wrote this

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...acement-56476/

I posted this about timing chains

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/

And this about possible over tensioning the balance shaft chain

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...et-tool-65613/
Old 02-18-2023, 06:42 AM
Administrator

This is the timing chain / balance shaft with water pump kit, also just crankshaft sprockets. No balance shaft sprockets or VVT phasers , to keep costs down
Old 02-18-2023, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by greg8453
What dealer told you this crap.
chevy dealership.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Service writers are salesmen, no knowledge of mechanics is required.
Pretty hard to believe they didn''t give you the "got to do the $200 diagnostic".
That was with the diagnostic fee. But I’m gonna fight it cause they didn’t diagnose anything to my knowledge, his words were “if we repair the pump the engine will die even sooner from the increased pressure” and he threw out some ridiculous figure like $7k for the work and labor but then backpedaled to say they couldn’t perform the work because they couldn’t guarantee the operation of the engine.

Sounds to me like the tech looked at the age and mileage and said “nope” but is there any recourse for lack of service from them?

Quick Reply: Water pump or engine swap?