Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
noticed that i think i have a freakin paint chip in my door (no dent though...) and i have some swirling. So we'll see what i can do about that.
I don't know how this reminded me, but it did...lol

So I've got little speckles of tar along the bottom of the doors, running boards, and the front bumper. I can't seem to get it off, without going and picking each one with my fingernail. I've tried orange cleaner, Simple Green, some type of compound my dad had(not sure what it was), Bug and Tar Remover, and wax. Nothing seemed to get it off. Is there something else you guys would recommend, short of going and picking each spot with my finger. (In that case, I'll be back in July...lol)
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM

kerosene

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I don't know how this reminded me, but it did...lol

So I've got little speckles of tar along the bottom of the doors, running boards, and the front bumper. I can't seem to get it off, without going and picking each one with my fingernail. I've tried orange cleaner, Simple Green, some type of compound my dad had(not sure what it was), Bug and Tar Remover, and wax. Nothing seemed to get it off. Is there something else you guys would recommend, short of going and picking each spot with my finger. (In that case, I'll be back in July...lol)
the bug and tar remover should have worked. did it not smell like kerosene? kerosene is safer than cleaning solvents/chemicals. if you scrub , you may also get some scratches. you can also try wd-40.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
the bug and tar remover should have worked. did it not smell like kerosene? kerosene is safer than cleaning solvents/chemicals. if you scrub , you may also get some scratches. you can also try wd-40.
Hmm....I'll have to give WD-40 a try!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM

WD-40 does amazing things.

When i was down in aruba snorkeling a shipwreck, it somehow still leaks oil, from 1942... well of course i got it all over me. The captain on our boat had WD-40 and wiped me down... Not the best experience, but yeah... cleaned me right up.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM

every mourning

Originally Posted by twistrman
WD-40 does amazing things.

When i was down in aruba snorkeling a shipwreck, it somehow still leaks oil, from 1942... well of course i got it all over me. The captain on our boat had WD-40 and wiped me down... Not the best experience, but yeah... cleaned me right up.
i drink a shot of it every mourning. good for arthitus too. i have heard of people actually spraying their joints with it.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM

So after class tonight I went to Auto Zone just to check out the different waxes. I stood there for about 10 minutes, until I decided I wanted to try the ICE Liquid Clay Bar, for $15. (Does anyone know how that works? I'm assuming I shouldn't use it if I just waxed the car...) Anyways, So I took it to the register, and it rang up at $0.01. Seriously. The girl asked me if I had a penny, which I didn't...I only had plastic, so she said this one's on the house, and handed it to me. Pretty good deal, wouldn't you say???

Best of all, I did get a receipt for it!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 PM

In my opinion a liquid clay bar is not going to yield the results of a true clay bar. But for a penny, eh Question is once clayed what are you going to use for Wax?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
In my opinion a liquid clay bar is not going to yield the results of a true clay bar. But for a penny, eh Question is once clayed what are you going to use for Wax?
Well, that's a good question, and I don't have an answer...lol. I'm thinking since I just waxed it really good yesterday, I'll probably wait a while until I clay it. Maybe I'll have decided on something to try by then!

I'm a little hesitant to use an actual clay bar, since I've never done it before, and I don't want to screw anything up. I don't quite understand the whole lubricate it with soap. Figure I'll stick with easy stuff for now.

Oh, and I did buy Turtle Wax Chrome Polish for $2 at Wal-Mart.... Not that my chrome isn't shiny enough, but maybe I can blind the other drivers a little more!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 PM

clay bar is easy and you dont even need to use soap. water alone works well also. you just spray a lil water down so that the clay gets slippery and go to town. i think there is a how to on this as well.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
...snip... i have heard of people actually spraying their joints with it.
Yeah, but they're hard to keep lit.....