Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Best Wax

The best polish/wax I've ever used is Klasse. It's a poly coating. The Red bottle is called All-in-One. It polishes and then leaves a coating that is VERY Deep. This by itself will last 7 to 9 months. If you also use the gray bottle which is the Top Coat, the shine gets even deeper and will last up to a year. Amazing stuff. My son also uses it and has turned the SVT Contour group on to it... They're hooked.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
So after class tonight I went to Auto Zone just to check out the different waxes. I stood there for about 10 minutes, until I decided I wanted to try the ICE Liquid Clay Bar, for $15. (Does anyone know how that works? I'm assuming I shouldn't use it if I just waxed the car...) Anyways, So I took it to the register, and it rang up at $0.01. Seriously. The girl asked me if I had a penny, which I didn't...I only had plastic, so she said this one's on the house, and handed it to me. Pretty good deal, wouldn't you say???

Best of all, I did get a receipt for it!
how the heck did that ring up for a penny? If it was me, I would have went back and grabbed the rest...

Also, how the heck did you just wax, isn't it like 15 degrees up there. It is down here at least.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
how the heck did that ring up for a penny? If it was me, I would have went back and grabbed the rest...

Also, how the heck did you just wax, isn't it like 15 degrees up there. It is down here at least.
I would have gotten more, but that was the only one on the shelf....

As for waxing, we have a heated garage at our house!! (But I don't get to park in it....)
Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 PM

I do a lot of work for publications that cover the Corvette hobby. About a year ago I wrote a series of car care articles for a Corvette web site then condensed them for publication in one of the Vette magazines.

The wax part of this series covered a product I discovered in 07, called C-Magic. Prior to doing the research for the article I had used several different mass-marketed car waxes. I tried C-Magic and became a convert, in spite of the somewhat high price tag.

Since doing the Corvette coverage, my Wife and I have begun to use it on the HHR and the truck looks great.

http://cmagicwax.com/
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM

Klasse

Check out the text about the Klasse products I mention at the following:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/klasse.html
Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Ok...another question. Any idea what I should use to remove the tar from the wheel wells? It's kinda hard to scrub with anything....

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

kerosene

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Ok...another question. Any idea what I should use to remove the tar from the wheel wells? It's kinda hard to scrub with anything....

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.
a little stinky , but so is tar. if you scared of it you can put it in a spray bottle , and scrub it off with a brush on a pole long enough that the bristles don't sling it back on you. it won't take much scrubbing , the kerosene will do the work. less mess to put it on a rag , use gloves if you like. i use wisk or laundry or dish detergent to get it off my hands , and also rinse my rag. it is a fire hazard to leave rags laying around with chemicals in them. but i have never seen one combust by itself , i have heard it can happen. you can also buy other things , but kerosene is on most every corner , and it used to be cheaper , and probably still is.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 PM

I have been using a product that has been around for mny of yrs, Liquid Glass