Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

What do I need to Change my oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Usually you can see them..looks just like a washer..suprised there isn't one if GM specs for one...both my wifes Vue and my Matrix need one.

In any event I haven't read this whole thread but if you do your homework and are able to take advantage of rebates, closeouts, markdowns and sales you can change your oil for next to nothing. I actually made 4 dollars after rebates on Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. Most of my oil changes cost me 5-9 dollars tops

After looking at where the filter is and how easy it is to change oil on the HHR I could not fathom bringing it somewhere to have some other guy change it. I once watched a guy at Pep Boys cranking the oil plug with a socket wrench and his friggin feet were leaving the ground he was turning so tight. Hello crushed oil pan and never getting a good seal again! No thanks!

Then again I enjoy doing this sort of maintenance so it might not be for everyone...I can't think of changing the oil on an HHR could be any more than a 10-15 minute job

Goose
Old 04-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Wix filter+5 qts.Royal Purple oil= happy HHR driver
Old 04-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Maybe there is a crush washer on it, but to me it just looks like a bolt with a built-in washer (i.e. larger head on the bolt).

I wish we had deals up here like you folks in the states have (i.e. Advanced Auto's buy one get one deal on Pennzoil Platinum). The best we can get up here is a 5 qt/4.7 litre jug of Pennzoil Platinum for $24.99 CDN. I wish our local Costco stores would carry it. Next time AAP has one of those deals I'm tempted to take a run to upstate New York to get some.

I took ours to the dealership for it's first oil change. 5 litres of bulk oil, AC Delco oil filter + labour costs and taxes. $46 out the door

Now that I have the ramps, I'm going to do it myself. My wife's not exactly supportive on that front "You change the oil? This I gotta see"

But she is happy that I am geeking out over a car instead of computers like I usually do
Old 04-03-2007, 12:50 PM

Refresh my memory...how is the DIC reset after an oil change?

I know it's been posted here before, but I can't find it on a search.

Thanks, Sam
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sunburst Sam
Refresh my memory...how is the DIC reset after an oil change?

I know it's been posted here before, but I can't find it on a search.

Thanks, Sam
Search the Owner's Manual.

Once you ignore all the GM Legal Dep't Warnings, there's actually a little useful info there! Good luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Hello Joe, I know about the reset in the DIC, but I recall someone posted a reset by pressing down the the throttle once or twice, maybe with the ignition key in the on (not run) position.

Does anyone remember or know of this technique? -Sam
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM

The "throttle" technique works on my 2002 Venture and 2002 Suburban, but I have no idea if it works on the HHR (I would be surprised since you can reset it with the DIC button). You turn the ignition to the "ON" position without starting the engine. Then pump the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. If the reset was successful, the "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" message will flash quickly a bunch of times (not sure exactly how many) to indicate that the reset took place.

Steve
Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 PM

That's how to reset it in Vue so I imagine that is the way with most if not all GMs

Goose
Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 PM

Hard to believe there are 48 posts on an oil change and resetting the DIC. Try finding this much info on any other site.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Geeze... wit the car idling, press and hold both bottoms buttons for a few seconds, then release. This will take you int a new menu. Use the DIC(second from bottom) button to navigate to "oil change reset", then press and hold the bottom button for a few seconds and release.

presto....

Quick Reply: What do I need to Change my oil?