Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

3 bar grille mod [ongoing progress]

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012 | 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26
get to the mesh part! lol
Mwahahahaha!!! You have no idea what I have planned.
Old 10-29-2012 | 09:09 PM
Premium Member

share the secrets!!
Old 10-29-2012 | 10:22 PM

In due time. I could reveal it when I get to that stage of the build, or at the very end when the finished piece is installed.

Don't make me be extra diabolical.
Old 10-29-2012 | 10:38 PM

Oh, FYI: when I went to Lowe's tonight to get more Plastic Bonder, they didn't have it on the shelf, in fact there wasn't even a hanger allocated for it. They did have some still in stock, boxed up on top of the shelf where they keep the overstock. Apparently they're not going to carry it for much longer. I got 6 more tubes, hopefully that and the one I had left will get me though this stage.

I can't say enough about how well this product feathers. When filed smooth, the transition between materials is simply not detectable by touch. I just wish it was opaque so I could see the surface better.
Old 11-03-2012 | 01:02 PM

Yesterday I set up the mold forms for the upper gaps, and just finished filling them:

I used the same process with foil and tape again. These will require more finish work because the desired final surface is a compound curve. I traced the curve of the rim to use as a guide for the inside edge.

Taping around the work areas makes for less clean up work :)

I also skimmed over the lower fills (front, and on the back to add some thickness) so they can be finished.
Old 11-11-2012 | 12:28 AM

Do you have the bars that you cut out of your Grille? I am doing a project and if you have them I would be interested in getting them (or one) from you.

Anyone have an old or broken Grille the want to get rid of? Yes I'll pay ya for it.
Old 11-11-2012 | 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Evad
Do you have the bars that you cut out of your Grille? I am doing a project and if you have them I would be interested in getting them (or one) from you.
I still have them, but won't be willing to part with them until I'm done, which will be long while yet.
Old 11-11-2012 | 12:49 PM

Thanks for responding and I'll keep looking for some bars or a broken grille
Old 11-24-2012 | 07:17 PM

Getting there.

I've made good progress since my last post. After the initial spanning of the upper gaps, I thickened them on the backside to better approximate the curve (sorry, didn't take pics of that). Then I glazed over the front side of the upper gaps and the surrounding original material to prepare for getting a smooth transition.

I made some templates of the forward edge (highlighted below) as guides for creating the gap edges:

The templates (paper backed with painter's tape):

Here's what it looks like now:

With the backfill and glazing done, I traced the edge of the template onto the Loctite with a sharpie. With the top-to-side transition point placed at the top of the gap, the curve hits the bottom of the gape nicely. Then I ground it down to the line and did some rough contouring with my Dremel. Most of the original span material is gone, but the backfill remains.

Detail shots (the sharpie ink is still there):

The brown stains on the front are residue from the electroplating bath, they're sealed under Loctite now.

I'm going to glaze over the fronts again because there are a couple spots that are too low. Then I'll work out the final edges, which aren't straight right now.
Old 01-07-2013 | 02:59 PM

so did you finish your grille i would like to see the end result.. and thinking off doing this my self

Quick Reply: 3 bar grille mod [ongoing progress]