Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

HHR - Buick Bijou Super Progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 PM

Thanks!!! As far as shaving the rear handles, that's what I thought too zman. And the beauty of it is, with the interior back door handles being in the upper corner, I don't have to put any remote releases in. just reach inside and snatch the back doors :)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Deceased

Here's a link to the whitewall paint that most of the Rat Rodders I know swear by, at $20 a tin its a bit salty Ben, but compared to what Coker wants for wide whites....its a bargain.

http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm
Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 AM

HELL of a job Benjiwah! iIf I attempted that.. everything would be uneven lmao. Excellent show of skill man, nice job!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM

...OT humour:
just be careful that nothing comes out like in S.Kings
"FROM BUICK EIGHT"

but you have interesting project, definately a "dare to be different".
I personally dont dig the roofline so much, it needs to get visual weight to work; how about full cruiser skirts along with the "post-less" paint?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Ben, Looking better all the time.

Wide whites and full moons should look great. White paint would be a very inexpensive way to go. With your talent no one would be able to distinguish them from WW tires.

Boydie

Originally Posted by Benjiwah
You nailed it Mike! I am planning on trying some white wall paint on the old tires and putting some steels on it with some Chrome Full Moons from Hubcap Mike's. Would love to eventually buy real white walls and baby moons, but it's just not something I can afford. Such is the life of a starving artist....lol
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM

843de,
Thanks for the link!!!

hhryoungin,
Thanks for the compliments!!!

finnhhr,
I'm not familiar with "From Buick Eight"... Is it a movie?
Also, I have been pondering skirts on the rear.... Still up in the air on that one, but if I do they will be half or 3/4...not full. Thanks for your feedback...it is appreciated!!!

Boydie,
Thanks for the vote of confidence!!! Do it yourself white walls are still a scary proposition though :)
Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Ben

Back in 1978 I used the wide white walls or Porta walls as they called them on my 1955 Nash Metropolitan (below) and had no problems with them and you could stand right beside the car and not know they were fake wide white walls. The tires were only 13 inch though. I think you can still get them.

I agree wide white tires are the way to go if money is at hand.

Boydie,
Thanks for the vote of confidence!!! Do it yourself white walls are still a scary proposition though :)[/QUOTE]
Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Deceased

They still make Portawalls Boydie, and as you know, they can be dang convincing.

Here's another link for your database Ben.....

http://www.portawalls.com/info.html
Old 05-13-2013, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the link.

16 x 3 Portawalls...$80.00 I put that link in my favorites. Might take the plunge. Probably another $10 each to have the tire store put them on.

That reminds me. Way back we used to change our own tires. Here is how.

1. You can break the beads with an old car jack. Put the tires close to the car, put the jack on the rubber as near the rim of the wheel as possible. Jack up the car. Bead will break. (I don't know how this will work with modern cars or tires. Haven't tried it in years.

2. May take two people. Lay the tire on the ground directly in front of tire on your car. Put car in drive and move forward turning to to right. This is where a 2nd person comes in handy, because he can motion you forward, You can see the tire while in the car.

These work folks, used to do it all the time in the late '50 thru '60s. Tubeless tires were standard on the '57 Chevy but man did we fight them -- until we realized it was a good thing.

Boydie Back in the Saddle........................

Originally Posted by 843de
They still make Portawalls Boydie, and as you know, they can be dang convincing.

Here's another link for your database Ben.....

http://www.portawalls.com/info.html
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Boydie,
Thanks for the tip and sharing pics of your old Nash...Love it!!!

Mike,
Thanks yet again for another link!!!

I had read some where that the portawalls can pull away from the tires at higher speeds. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that or is it bunk?

Quick Reply: HHR - Buick Bijou Super Progress