Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

New spoiler - not flat

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Went and looked. It has some type of gasket underneath.Ran a sheet of paper between the spoiler and hatch, all the way around. I can even feel the notches in the gasket where the bolts/studs are located.
I've never had mine off. Someone who has, can hopefully verify this.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Rest In Peace

If you guys clicked the Link I posted earlier, youd See exactly what it looks like underneath.

It has plenty of 3M Tape used to install it.

The Tape leaves a slight gap, but Not like his installs gap.

Go read and look at the pics in that thread I posted.

Heres one pic from it.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks A&P. I did look at the link that you posted. I was just trying to give the OP, rkenly, my thoughts and some pictures of a spoiler that is on the car.
He should be able to go back to his installer and say" This is what it's supposed to look like."
FWIW.Because there is 3m tape, I guess I won't be removing my spoiler to clean any debris from under the edges. Thanks again A&P for the heads up about it being tape and not a gasket.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM

okay - based on the photos -

I went out and pulled that sucker off. The two-sided tape really made me pull.

I then made a template - assumed the body shop did, but since I didn't have it...

Okay - "assuming" that my template is as good as theirs - it appears that there might be an interference fit on two of the holes. Maybe this is keeping the spoiler from going down all the way? Dunno - just a thought.

But I was surprised from the fact that there was a gap on Fireman George's RED HHR.

Also - his measurement of 3 7/16" from the top of the lid (gap) to the top of the spoiler. Mine is close 3 3/8" - so within a 1/16" of being the same.

Hoping that it is the interference fit.

I also saw a post - where someone ground off the middle posts and went with the outside ones only. While that might make it lie flat - would it blow off or vibrate? I'm thinking that would be last resort.

Thanks,

>>>Rod<<<
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by rkenly
okay - based on the photos -

I went out and pulled that sucker off. The two-sided tape really made me pull.

I then made a template - assumed the body shop did, but since I didn't have it...

Okay - "assuming" that my template is as good as theirs - it appears that there might be an interference fit on two of the holes. Maybe this is keeping the spoiler from going down all the way? Dunno - just a thought.

But I was surprised from the fact that there was a gap on Fireman George's RED HHR.

Also - his measurement of 3 7/16" from the top of the lid (gap) to the top of the spoiler. Mine is close 3 3/8" - so within a 1/16" of being the same.

Hoping that it is the interference fit.

I also saw a post - where someone ground off the middle posts and went with the outside ones only. While that might make it lie flat - would it blow off or vibrate? I'm thinking that would be last resort.

Thanks,

>>>Rod<<<
I'm not there, so I can only guesstimate the actual problem. As a Former body & fender man, my best guess is they drilled 2 holes too close together on the ends.

Causing a tight fit and Bulging the center Up from the stress caused by the pressure. Therefore causing the gap.

Maybe the center alignment nubs are longer than just drilling through the outside sheetmetal? Again, not there to see for myself so hard to say.

Maybe a picture from an SS owner showing from underneath inside the hatch, would tell us more, how many black caps are under there filling the holes?

I have installed many spoilers over the years. I installed my "Hoop" style on my Panel without a template without a problem.

Also it should be sitting lower, as seen in the pics, lowering it will also lower that top edge into the more curved area of the rear hatch, allowing a better fitment.

The top of the rear hatch actually has a compound curve to it, so you gotta fit it into both cuvatures happenening there.

Hard to long distance fix this for you. I could reinstall it Properly, in 20-30 minutes.

Not counting the time to remove all the double sided tape, but that part of the job i'd show you how to do and let you have at it, while I worked on other stuff.

Clean off all the tape go get a new roll of 3M tape and start over doing it yourself.

Get any money you paid that so called shop Back. This is Simple stuff the shop Apprentice should have been able to do it, without screwing it up.

You should have Never seen it this way. The shop should have Fixed it before ever letting you see it or telling you it was ready to pick up.

Any holes you have to redrill/elongate or whatever are now going to have to be Sealed up, get a tube of clear silicone caulk for that.

Dry Run Test Fit it BEFORE you peel any tape off, you just found out how well it does Stick. Get it Right First, mark were you actually want it place with some 3/4" painters tape on the body so once you peel the tape you can place it in that same spot.

Get a buddy over to help hold it in place or place the tape pieces for you while you hold it. Use the homemade template method, whatever works for you.

Dont forget to caulk up the areas that are gonna need it now before pulling the tape.

Go read the Hoop spoiler install how to as well, Educate yourself before you try it.

I myself would Not trust that shop to ever do work on any of my cars, thats for sure.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Thanks A&P. I did look at the link that you posted. I was just trying to give the OP, rkenly, my thoughts and some pictures of a spoiler that is on the car.
He should be able to go back to his installer and say" This is what it's supposed to look like."
FWIW.Because there is 3m tape, I guess I won't be removing my spoiler to clean any debris from under the edges. Thanks again A&P for the heads up about it being tape and not a gasket.

I meant it mainly for the OP to go relook at it. I knew the pics were there showing the underside.

Yeah with that tape your better off Not removing it.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

I'll answer the tape question. I've had one of those bug deflectors taped to the front of my Dodge truck for 14 years. 3m tape and the hot Alabama sun and it's still firmly attached.
As far as the spoiler. My only worry with only the 2 outside stud/nuts would be, if you snug them down too much would the pressure try to "bow" the center.
Two stud/nuts and 3m tape should be enough. Just don't overtighten the nuts.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

I forgot about this picture that was in my gallery. Shows the right side stud/nut location.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 PM

UPDATE -

I made a new template (didn't have the template the body shop used). When I put it up on the deck (after removing the spoiler), two of the holes were slightly "off". This caused the spoiler not to sit down totally. Took it back to the body shop, they fixed the holes, and it laid down pretty flat. I'm now happy with it, and all is well.

>>>Rod<<<
Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Glad you got it straightened out.