Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Paint on OEM GRILL

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Founding Member

Paint on OEM GRILL

Lets say I was to paint my oem grill..... what preperation(s) would I need to do? Does paint stick to chrome?

I did learn from my Road Ripper paint jobbie that unless properly prepared, the paint adhesion is NOT very good. I realize we are talking different surfaces here, principal is the same though.

I seek input! (forgive not using the seach button)
Old 04-11-2006, 09:30 PM

Yoy would have to do lots of prep and prime it with a special paint that sticks to plastic.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Lots of prep sanding and sanding in between coats. The chrome is over white plastic so I would either prime it or use a plastic adhesion promoter for a base. Clear coat after of course. Thinking of matching the grille white?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Thinking of matching the grille white?
Yeah, thinking, ya gots that part right!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 PM

I know its off the topic Sindy but saw a car carrier full of white and spring edition HHRs today driving home from work. Could not get a great look but that white looks sharp. It was just nice to see HHRs on the road still have not seen many in this area. The dealerships are not moving them real fast around here it seems.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

They should have had some blue ones also. That would make a cool picture.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by deadhead
.... saw a car carrier full of white ... Could not get a great look but that white looks sharp.
Sharp, sharp, sharp! Thats what I'm ah waitin' for!
Mine should arrive any day now! I'm exercising for my happy dance for when the call comes through from my dealer! Cart-wheels and farting rainbows!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Lets say I was to paint my oem grill..... what preperation(s) would I need to do? Does paint stick to chrome?

I did learn from my Road Ripper paint jobbie that unless properly prepared, the paint adhesion is NOT very good. I realize we are talking different surfaces here, principal is the same though.

I seek input! (forgive not using the seach button)
More input here: Sindy - sand the entire grille down with #1500 sandpaper to knock off the slick finish. Next hit it with a light coat of adhesion promoter. Immediatley following, start in with the first LIGHT coat of your chosen white. let it tack up some and add another light coat. When the 2nd coat tacks up - make sure you are in a dust-free environ, and lay down the final coat of white. I would let them all cure for two days.

Now - lightly sand down the entire white grille with #1500 again! Once it is good & ready, start in with your 1st clear coat. Wait till tacky and repeat again 2 more times. 3 coats of clear will add to the shine and help protect from road chips. Allow to cure - off the car - for at least two days. Keep indoors at night and put it in the sun on the second & third days to aid in curing.

That's how I'd do it!

Hope it helps - and I can't WAIT to see it on your new WHITE HHR!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:02 PM

Not so sure I would bake it in the sun of the "High Desert" during the day.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 AM

id take it to a bodyshop because:
1.there is a special prep they can do for plastic that will allow paint to adhere better to it (had my avalanche done)

2. that grill will see alot of abuse from head on rain to rocks and bugs, a body shop would commit to guarenteeing it to stay on

Quick Reply: Paint on OEM GRILL