Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Question for those of you with tint...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 AM

Question for those of you with tint...

So I went on Friday and got my front two windows tinted. They told me not to roll my windows down for 3-5 days. Today makes the forth day so I rolled my windows down to check out the tint. I was disgusted when I found that they did not cover the entire window with tint. On each window they left about 2 inches on left side of the window untinted. When the window is up all the way you can't tell but when you roll the window down, it looks like crap because the entire window is not covered. I'm just trying to find out if this is common because of they way our windows go up and down. Before I call and lay into this place (which is very reputable) I want to make sure I have some facts.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Here's a pic for reference...

Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 AM

Wow! Yea that's a crappy tint job. I had my 2 front windows done and with the window down like yours you can't see the edge of the tint like that. I'd go back and make them redo it
Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dudeasif
Wow! Yea that's a crappy tint job. I had my 2 front windows done and with the window down like yours you can't see the edge of the tint like that. I'd go back and make them redo it
I'm planning on it! I'm so pissed right now that I was unable to finish off my bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit from Hardees. I'm just waiting on the place to open so I can call and yell at them.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM

Does the window tilt forward when it rolls down?

I just had mine done in 20% yesturday. Im curious to see how it looks in a couple days when i can roll them down.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Joshua022
Does the window tilt forward when it rolls down?

I just had mine done in 20% yesturday. Im curious to see how it looks in a couple days when i can roll them down.
It doesn't appear to to roll down funny. I called another tint shop...the place I've always gone to and the guy said the tint should cover the entire window.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Having a gap around the edge is normal to clear the weatherstripping. But that does look odd the way they did it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Having a gap around the edge is normal to clear the weatherstripping. But that does look odd the way they did it.
It's all jagged and the passenger side has a slit in the tint where the knife must have slipped.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Rest In Peace

That is a *****TY Tint Job!!!

WHO said the place was "very reputable" ?

I told you to do it Yourself! And order up the rear spoiler.

The HHR like a Bunch of other cars, the window shifts forward as it goes down. An Experienced Tint Installer should KNOW this.

HHR's are an Easy Tint, most installers will remove the rubber gaskets surrounding the window, and some will remove the door panels to make that easier.

Some will install without removing either, but they know how to put the window Up and Down, as they are tinting the window to AVOID gaps like that, and trim it as they go.

Take that job Back and INSIST it be Redone, CORRECTLY this time!

I'm just getting started in adding some Tint work so I have been reading up Alot on a Tinting Forum, bought about $200.00 in tools. I got a few film manufactures that sent me out some Sample rolls of Film, to try out.
(Just doing your own car you can get away with about $20.00 in Tools)

Heat Shrinking it is Fun! Takes Practice Practice Practice. Not bad tho, once you research it, watch a bunch of Vids then give it a go.

I read about a few HHR installs on that site, Just did my back window, and am gonna replace my fronts with Darker tint.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Got in touch with the shop and the manager said he'd have his tint guy redo the tint tomorrow afternoon. I told them if they couldn't do a better job that I just wanted them to remove the tint and get me my money back.

Quick Reply: Question for those of you with tint...