Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

HHR Nut's Amethyst HHR (56k Warning!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by fenris222
Great job all around - in other words: SWEET!
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2006, 03:41 PM

More

This is a closeup of one of the visors:

Here you can see...

-My Nifty Catch All Premium Mat with the OEM All Weather Mat on top of it (because I like the look of the rubber mats).

-The envelope attached to the front of my driver's seat is a 'glove box' (velcro envelope) from a Trans Am. It's been painted to match the interior. Just a little more storage. :):

-A water bottle holder... the water bottle just rests on the floor.

...and my Garage Door Opener - I have to find a better place for that...

View from the back with my All Weather Cargo mat and 2 Cargo Nets:

And another shot of the iPod install:

iPod dock plus removable sun shade. The dock blends into the interior a bit better without the shade, but the shade helps with sun glare and makes the iPod 100% invisible when outside the car (I have tinted windows). The backlight turns off 10 seconds after I touch the iPod.

That's all the new pics that I have right now.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 PM

Dual cargo nets in back--interesting! I would assume that is better for larger items as the small would potentially roll under, yes?

Either way, it's innovative!

For everyday use, I have switched the back configuration a bit. I used to just pile everything in the back and hope my laptops or other computer components didnt get crushed, but now I put the removable deck part in the upper position and put my computer garbage on that shelf and store my bigger stuff below. Eventually, I want to buy another deck so the spare tire area can be covered again.

Any idea how much that piece costs?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Krejaton
Any idea how much that piece costs?
Looks like MSRP is $173.00 you can buy one HERE for $138.64

Hope it helps.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Krejaton
Dual cargo nets in back--interesting! I would assume that is better for larger items as the small would potentially roll under, yes?
Dual cargo nets... just because I need places for stuff. Big stuff doesn't slide around on the rubber HHR Cargo Mat, but I do like to keep my stuff from rolling around. The front cargo net usually holds a camera bag or two and a computer bag... sometimes the back net holds another computer bag. Sometimes the back net holds groceries. It all depends on the task at hand. I like to keep stuff handy.

I still have some minor mods planned to improve usablity. :)

Larger items sometimes do get placed between the two cargo nets, but usually those items would stay put whether I had cargo nets in there or not. I've never actually tried to get the two nets to hold stuff in place. :)

A big reason I wanted the HHR is for increased convenience-- I finally had it with stowing whatever gear in the back seat or my trunk. What a pain.
...AND now my dog can travel with me (a lot more often) when I go on my frequent road trips.

Then there are the looks... the bang for the buck... better gas mileage than my last car... etc

Offhand, I have no idea on the price of the shelf, but SoCal got to that before I did.

Anyway, thanks!

I love this car!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Thanks, Mike!
Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 PM

That's one sweet lookin' car! Awesome job! I like the chrome on the doors, I did the upper part of mine with welts that I got off the internet. I haven't had any luck posting pictures! I may have to switch it for the chrome look!!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by NY HHR
That's one sweet lookin' car! Awesome job! I like the chrome on the doors, I did the upper part of mine with welts that I got off the internet. I haven't had any luck posting pictures! I may have to switch it for the chrome look!!
Thanks! I had to google to figure out what welts were. This is the first car I've done much to (beyond pinstriping and tint, anyway) so I'd never heard of them before. :)

If the stuff came in chrome (I don't think it does), it'd probably work better than the self-adhesive molding that I used on the doors.

Anyway, thanks again!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:12 PM

I'm still refining a lot of mods.

The visors 'decals' are finally done (no pictures of the final yet)-- this time they are permanently attached with iron on inkjet fabric (cotton). Amazingly, the spray adhesive wasn't adhering well.

I removed the original airbag decals because they were showing up through most versions of my visor decals. They peel right off with a bit of acetone. The resulting residue was covered with the iron-on 'decal.' I'm finally completely happy with the way it looks and confident that it'll stay in place this time.

The iPod mount is going to be changed to something that fits in a little better-- the Transpod Direct that I used so far, even modified, is way too big and takes up way too much room. Next week I'll work on that.

I'm adding some (hidden) accessory jacks.

One jack attached to RAP power for the iPod so it auto pauses with the radio when I open the car door.

I need one jack attached to switched power (for the GPS... that I don't yet have - buying a Nuvi 350).

I need another jack attached to switched power for the cooler - don't want that baby running when the car's off, but it's nice for road trips. I think I might want to figure out how to put that one all by itself (I'm a little foreign to automotive wiring here, but my neighbor's an electrician and a car guy and he'll be helping out...)

Other little tweaks. It's a continual process.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Updates....

A much better picture of my bumper cover, plus the new chrome tail light rings (made with 1/4" chrome moulding), and my (also new) 2LT decal.

Quick Reply: HHR Nut's Amethyst HHR (56k Warning!)