Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

HHR Nut's Amethyst HHR (56k Warning!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:35 PM

iPod Update

iPod Update....

A MUCH cleaner iPod install using TenTechnology's Flexible dock. The dock is hot glued to the dash and the gooseneck is connected to RAP power behind the knee bolster so the iPod will automatically pause when exiting the vehicle.

This is the driver's view of the screen...

Click wheel access is not blocked by the windshield wiper/washer lever.

All wires are pretty much hidden. You see a teeny bit of the aux wire where it's plugged into the front panel of the radio. The iPod is not visible from the outside of the car except from the windshield (the top part) and when the backlight's on. I have it set to turn off 2 seconds after I select whatever I need to select. I keep a little hood over the top to shade it from the sun and to make it invisible from the windshield (no pics of the hood yet).

If you have an iPod, don't mess with DLO's TransPod direct. It is way too bulky (about 10x larger than it needs to be).

Last edited by HHR Nut; 04-24-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:08 PM

The visor decals are now 'final' - they were done with iron on cotton inkjet fabric. The visors were removed from the car, the airbag decal taken off with a bit of acetone, and the new decals were applied. They look pretty much like the old ones... a little larger and a more natural matte fabric appearance (the others were somewhat glossy)... but these stick a lot better. :)

Lock knobs from SoCalHHRs:

My arm thanks you.

Edited to add: I didn't follow SoCal's install instructions exactly. The instructions indicated cutting at 5/16". Instead, I cut the lock rod at 1/2" because I wanted mine just a little less flush (see the pic).

Let's see... no pics, but I installed a few accessory jacks-- one for the iPod, to RAP power. One for a cooler, also to RAP power. This is mostly for road trips. The cooler can be turned off when I'm just running around town. I also wired always on power for my cell phone and accessory power for a GPS (not yet purchased). Sure, I could use the cigarette lighter and accessory jack for some of this stuff, but I hate having visible wires for stuff that's in my car all the time.

Black gutter guard lower 'grille' installed to (somewhat) protect the radiator. Installed with cable ties and cable tie mounting bases (neither visible if the hood is closed). This was for protection, not looks... no pics. You can't really see it anyway.

Creating a custom phone mount (all the commercial ones that I've tried press several of the side buttons on this phone) and stringing a headset wire from there to somewhere near the headrest so it's easy to access.

That's it for now... I think I'm almost roadtrip-ready -- hope so because I'm leaving town in a few weeks.

Last edited by HHR Nut; 04-24-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:34 PM

Nice work on all your mods. I love the chrome molding on the doors...Gonna have to go out and get some and do mine...very nice and affordable modification. Thanks for sharing all the great things you have done with all of us.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:29 PM

Yes agreed - very nice mods! That iPod dock makes me want to go out and buy an iPod! Very nice install.

You have done us all proud with your mods!

*BTW - thanks for showing your "take" on installing our lock knob kit. It doesn't have to be installed flush, but can be made to look however the owner likes. Good job!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Nice work on all your mods. I love the chrome molding on the doors...Gonna have to go out and get some and do mine...very nice and affordable modification. Thanks for sharing all the great things you have done with all of us.
Thank you!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Yes agreed - very nice mods! That iPod dock makes me want to go out and buy an iPod! Very nice install.

You have done us all proud with your mods!

*BTW - thanks for showing your "take" on installing our lock knob kit. It doesn't have to be installed flush, but can be made to look however the owner likes. Good job!
Thank you thank you. I'd go nuts on a road trip without audio books- (any music gets old after 20+ hours on the road).

Thanks for the lock knobs. I guess GM QA forgot to roll down the windows when testing this car... I can't figure out how it ended up in production with those things. Ouch.

Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM

Well, I took your tip and finally installed chrome trim on the door panels. I went a step further and put chrome rings around the speaker cutouts. Seems like it adds a nice accent - they should do this at the factory, it ties in well with the door handles and A/C vent trim;

Thanks for the great idea!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by HHR Nut
Black gutter guard lower 'grille' installed to (somewhat) protect the radiator. Installed with cable ties and cable tie mounting bases (neither visible if the hood is closed). This was for protection, not looks... no pics. You can't really see it anyway.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Wow and I thought I was the only one here to put the chrome molding in the doors. Even the guys at the dealer thought it looks like GM put it there. Awsome pics btw.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:17 AM

I have a question for ya. Did you remove the air bag stickers 1st and what kind of paper did u use. Thanks for the help :)

Quick Reply: HHR Nut's Amethyst HHR (56k Warning!)