Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

My little ol' land-speed HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 PM

My little ol' land-speed HHR

Hey, guys:

I posted this over on turbohhr.com, but I figured some people here might be interested, too.

This is actually a 2007 N/A LT that now has a 2.0 LNF and turbo where the old 2.4 used to be--ZZP did the swap last November. Yeah, yeah, I know--why didn't I just buy an SS? Well, I had originally bought the car as a daily driver, but I've always been a big land-speed racing fan, so I took the car to Wilmington, Ohio, last April for an ECTA (East Coast Timing Association) event, and then again in August to Loring, Maine, for an LTA (Loring Timing Association) event, where the car ran 119 mph on the stock 2.4. (I actually posted those time slips here after I got them.) So then I said, screw it, I'm just gonna make this a race car!

The car made 300 hp at the wheels on the ZZP dyno, and if I can dig up the dyno sheet (I have it here somewhere), I'll post it, too.

The attached photos include one shot of the front, where I replaced the stock bumper with an SS bumper and then sheathed the entire thing--and the grille--in riveted aluminum. This is actually a class rule. I'm planning to run the car in G/BGALT ("G" is the engine class--1.0 to 2.0 liters; "BGALT" stands for "blown gas altered"), and two of the requirements in the altered class are an engine swap (done) and having the front bumper, grille and headlights covered (done, except for the headlights, which will be covered when I dip the car).

The other shots are of the cage build, which is currently being done by Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works (great guy, great company). In addition to the full cage, there's a full-containment seat (shown in the photos), and he'll be installing a fire-suppression system (two ten-pound bottles, one for the engine and one for the ****pit) and a parachute from Stroud. The car will also have five-point belts and a window net.

The mirrors, wipers and antenna are gone; the mirror holes will be replaced with fresh-air intakes. Roof rails (3/4" aluminum angles that run along the outer edges of the roof from the windshield back to the rear window, and are supposed to act like NASCAR roof flaps) are also required; I fabbed these up and will install them when I get the car back. I've also added the required hood pins. The interior, as you can see, is stripped; all of the door locks are now inoperative, and I'll also be getting rid of the steering-wheel lock. Once the cage is in, I'll probably sheath the old dash with aluminum (like the bumper) and reinstall it, and also cover the door interiors with aluminum. I've got a pair of Aeroforce Interceptor gauges to show mph, rpm and boost; these connect to the OBD port and will probably be mounted somewhere on the cage.

So, um...enjoy! I'll do my best to provide updates--I was planning to run the car in Loring at the end of this month and then in Ohio at the end of September, but I'm 99% sure the car won't be ready for Loring. But Ohio in September should be doable, so I'm crossing my fingers--the long-term plan is to take the car to SpeedWeek at Bonneville next year. And I already have a ChevyHHR.net decal on the back window, so that detail is taken care of...
Attached Images     
Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Deceased

Well dang Gary, that critter sure looks like it'll haul tail for sure, keep us updated...especially on where it tops out at.

Nice choice of racing seat, and good cage fabrication, you hope you never need 'em. But it's well thought out and neatly done.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 AM

WOW I had no idea that this kind of racing was done here in Ohio.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks, guys! Yeah, Lucky, the ECTA has run four times a year in Wilmington for a couple of years now, at Wilmington Air Park. Lots of fun--even if you're not driving anything, it's worth coming out just to see some of the very cool--and very fast--cars and bikes.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting posting sir - please keep us updated on the progress if you can. And good luck on your upcoming runs.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Looking good. Have you changed the gearing in the transaxle ?

I can also see that a lot of the interior pieces may be showing up in the classified section.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM

Gary, let me know when your going to run in Ohio next. That sounds like a good one tank trip.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Administrator

neat go fast stuff, I just might see you in Ohio !! I have always wanted to go , I have many friends in that neck of the woods
Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Looking good. Have you changed the gearing in the transaxle ?

I can also see that a lot of the interior pieces may be showing up in the classified section.
Hey, George...I haven't touched the transaxle at all--it's still the stock 4T45E--and that's definitely my biggest concern (primarily from a durability standpoint, not gearing). I'm crossing my fingers that it'll hold up for one event (the good thing about land-speed racing is that you don't launch), and then I'm going to look into an upgrade, probably either a rebuilt 4T45 or a 4T65, depending on how much money I don't have... I may also look into an aftermarket converter that I can lock at WOT...

Gary
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Gary, let me know when your going to run in Ohio next. That sounds like a good one tank trip.
Lucky and OldBlue: The next event is the last weekend in September--you should definitely try to come. You can even run your HHR or any street car--as long as you keep it under 135 mph, the only non-street safety requirements are basically a full-face Snell-rated helmet, non-acorn lugnuts, and your driver's license. It's a lot of fun!

Gary