Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

Slide_Rite's HHR - Pics, Mods & More!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by skyline26
dude your nuts! haha but I cant wait to see what comes next! good job man!
Haha, thanks skyline. I got a few more mods lined up...waiting to get a couple more things though so I can do them all at once though...hopefully very soon.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 AM

i'm really digging the grille, good job on that. even tho i'm not feeling the shifter, i completely understand it. i've always loved rat rods.

just an idea, do the same antina look on the front bumper. not the entire bumper but that refined "bar"
Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by rallycobalt06
i'm really digging the grille, good job on that. even tho i'm not feeling the shifter, i completely understand it. i've always loved rat rods.

just an idea, do the same antina look on the front bumper. not the entire bumper but that refined "bar"
Thanks, I'm pretty proud of my truck so far. I believe the mods I have done really set it apart from all the rest. I too have always loved rat rods...which is where some of my inspiration comes from. Eventually, I'll own a real old school rat, but until then...this is my modern rat canvas.

I was thinking of what I could do with that "bar" in the front bumper, but I think once I get a pushbar on the front, it will probably cover that section. I am definitely planning to patina the pushbar, door handles, and also the hood scoop & hood vents prior to installing.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 PM

Winter downtime...coming to an end?

I recently found an oil leak from my filter cap and underwent a change to fix it.

This is the old style oil filter ring from some companies that are prone to leak. The oil was changed by the dealer I bought it from, so not sure where it came from. However, I believe it was a fram filter. When I removed the cap and checked the o-ring it was very stiff and flat...saturated in oil...clearing failing in it's objective.

The new o-ring seals much better and the leak is gone.

...onto the next mod!

Removed my exterior door handles & painted them black. First...the how to.

Open your door, and remove this black rubber plug.

Next, remove this screw with a T-25 Torx bit. A steady hand...or magnetic bit will help keep from dropping the screw, but if you do...there is a rubber access hole at the bottom of the door. I dropped one and retrieved it without having to remove the interior door panel.

Now pull out the handle and the end cap will practically fall out.

With the handle slightly pulled out, firmly but gently slide it towards the removed end cap. It will resist...then it will pop out.

Door handles removed! Time for prep & paint!

Prepped by sanding with 220 grit, then sprayed with flat black.

Unfortunately, it started to rain...so I haven't reinstalled them yet. Pics of them installed will be coming soon!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM

^Very nice man...I guess I started a trend:)

I've got to redo mine this spring...gonna remove them this time and probably drop them off at a paint shop and have them done. My painting skills aren't terrible but mine are starting to chip a little on the top of the handles so I want them to last a longer this time. I don't really want to remove yearly to paint.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
^Very nice man...I guess I started a trend:)

...mine are starting to chip a little on the top of the handles...
Yeah, I have wanted them black since I bought my wagon...just got around to buying a new set of torx bits to make it happen.

That's precisely the reason I took mine off for paint. I'm hoping they won't chip since I got to sand all the edges with them off. Although, I'll have to take them off again in the not too distant future anyway to "plasti-rust" them.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM

Black Exterior Handles Reinstalled

Reinstalled my door handles after painting them flat black. Here are pics of the install.

Oh, but first...here is how to open your doors with no door handles. Stick your finger inside to find the small black lever shown in the pic. Pull that backwards to open your door!

First, have to clean the area before reinstalling.

Next, lay down your gasket. Be sure to press the rubber nubs into the black plastic and it will hold itself in place.

Now put the door handle back into the door flush with the gasket.

Slide the handle forward to snap it into place.

Now pull the handle out to reinstall the end cap. The handle holds it in place when released.

Now just reinstall the torx screw to secure the handle cap.

Much, much better like this. Glad to finally get it done.

Last edited by Slide_Rite; 02-25-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Very clean mod
Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Nice...I've got to get mine redone soon...not sure I can hold out for the spring...they are starting to chip pretty bad.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Looks good.

Quick Reply: Slide_Rite's HHR - Pics, Mods & More!