Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

Trip to Denver pics WARNING NOT 56K FREINDLY

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Trip to Denver pics WARNING NOT 56K FREINDLY

We are home!!! We had a wonderfull trip to Denver, and a great visit with Debbie (courthousedeb). We got to the hotel just in time for a bad hail storm, and did have some very minor hail damage on the hood. Here is a pic from our room of the hail.

After the storm we met with Debbie and had a great time! Notice I still had leaves from the storm plastered all over the car

We went to two Cardinal vs. Rockies games (Cardinals won both ). Coors field is an awsome place to watch a game. We decided to take a trip to the mountains, and went to Mount Evans, which is 14,264 feet in altitude. We were not able to make it all the way to the top becouse the road was closed due to snow, but we were able to get to Summit Lake, which is at an altitude of 12,800 feet. This road is the highest paved road in the world, so that was cool to be able to drive on it. Also we went from 79 degress in Denver, to below freezing at Summit Lake, which of course was frozen with several feet of snow on top.

The road ws very narrow, and no guard rails to keep you from falling down the side of the mountain. Needless to say, you didn't take your eyes off the road

Here we are at the top of the world (or at least that is the way it felt.

It was very difficult to breathe up there as there is only 40% of the oxygen available at sea level, and I was feeling the affects with a very dizzy feeling. Not good with the narrow roads . It was an experience I will never forget. Pictures do not do jutice to how beautiful the Rockies are. And you haven't seen the Rockies until you get to the top of one IMO. We also went to Georgetown, where we wanted to take a train ride in the mountains, but it was closed due to snow, but I did manage to take a pic of the Devils Gate High Bridge, which was finished in 1884.

I have many more pics and will put more on a photobucket page soon.

Last edited by mizzouHHR; 06-02-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:40 PM

Nice Pics, Glad the snow was there not here.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Those are awesome pictures Doug. Glad you guys were able to have some good weather and time to enjoy the mountains. They are definitely beautiful and as you said...pictures just don't do them justice.

Mt. Evans has snow on it most of the year...so I'm not surprised it was closed. Glad you were able to get up as far as the lake...that's beautiful country up there.

Let me know when you have the rest of your photos loaded...looking forward to seeing where else you guys went while you were here.

BTW...congrats to the Cardinals on their 2 wins over the Rockies.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:06 PM

Thanks for sharing! Wife and I are heading out to Colorado Springs in a few weeks as she is doing some duty at Peterson AFB (fun trip for me, no duty days)

We plan on taking in a Rockies game vs the Evil Empire...have only been through Denver Airpot..look forward to exploring the area!

Goose
Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Mizzou, How did your HHR handle the climb? I remember 12 years ago when going through the tunnel on your climb and the S-10 was down to 15-20 mph..
Old 06-02-2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Mizzou, How did your HHR handle the climb? I remember 12 years ago when going through the tunnel on your climb and the S-10 was down to 15-20 mph..
HHR handled the climb great. No problems at all. I was a bit concerned how the HHR would handle the thin air. I kept a close eye on the temp gauge, and how it was running, and no problems at all. Even at over 12,000 feet, I had no trouble, at least with the car . On the steep uphill grades the car was able to keep it's speed, which for me was about 60 on I-70. On the two lane grades I was able to hold a speed I felt safe driving with no problems. I was very impressed with the HHR's ablitity to handle going up steep hills, even in thin air.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 PM

Well I'll be there at the end of the month and looks like I'll some good sights to go see not to thrilled about the snow but i think I'll manage.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by liasd
Well I'll be there at the end of the month and looks like I'll some good sights to go see not to thrilled about the snow but i think I'll manage.
Looking forward to having you in the area liasd and hooking up with you once you're settled. Maybe we'll be able to find some time to get together and do some cruising in our HHR's together...and I can put some miles on Smoke.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 PM

More pics are now up at my photobucket page. My user name is the same as here. Here is the link.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/mizzouHHR/

We also went to the Downtown Aquarium, which was great. Kids really enjoyed it! We spent a few hours in Westminster at thier indoor rec. center at the pool, which was also great.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
HHR handled the climb great. No problems at all. I was a bit concerned how the HHR would handle the thin air. I kept a close eye on the temp gauge, and how it was running, and no problems at all. Even at over 12,000 feet, I had no trouble, at least with the car . On the steep uphill grades the car was able to keep it's speed, which for me was about 60 on I-70. On the two lane grades I was able to hold a speed I felt safe driving with no problems. I was very impressed with the HHR's ablitity to handle going up steep hills, even in thin air.
This was a Chevy HHR Owner wants to know corner question, sponsored by MizzouHHR

Now these kind of reports sell more HHRs

Quick Reply: Trip to Denver pics WARNING NOT 56K FREINDLY