Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

06 LT won't learn new keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM

06 LT won't learn new keys

Hi again everyone. You were so helpful with my last problem, I'm hoping I can trouble you folks for some more advice.

I bought 2 replacement key blanks online for my HHR and had them cut at the local hardware store (great guys, had to beg them to let me pay them at least $1 per key for the cuts!).

Anyhow, the keys appear cut properly, but they don't seem to want to program. I've tried both procedures:

The "30 minute relearn"
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hlight=relearn

and the "quick relearn"
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hlight=program
(which by the way is also in my manual)

But no go. One thing that seems different is that when I put in the new keys, the security light starts flashing (at least at first), its not a solid light.

Could the keys be wrong? They both have the "+" with the circle around them (although the symbol is slightly smaller on the new keys).

Any thoughts? Thanks again in advance for your help.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Deceased

The blanks from the hardware store just might not be close enough to OEM specs that they'll work on your HHR.

I've never heard of issues with blanks from places like Ace or True Value(etc), but you might want to get a new blank from your dealer and try that.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Mike. Sorry to point this out,but MarkInMLB said he got the blanks online. He did not get get them from the local hardware store. Only had them cut there.
( moderators, sheesh.........just kidding)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Did the '06 models have just a +, not the + in a circle? They are non-compatible systems. Also, there is a limit to the number of new keys that can be programmed to any one steering column, do you know the history of your HHR? You may need to go to a Locksmith or a GM dealer and pay the $80 anyway.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 PM

The "master" key I have that came with the car has the circle +, but that's all I know at this point. I can only see a slight difference between them which is the size of the symbol (circle + is smaller on the new blanks). I don't often regret purchasing things online, but maybe this is one of those rare occasions. Who knows.

I really don't know much about the history before I bought it, but I do know that according to the local Chevy dealer (which I am apparently going to visiting very soon in person), the car was in there for a stuck key in the ignition about 2 years ago and they replaced the P/S fuse.

Maybe if I buy one key, they'll be willing to try to program the other 2? Can't hurt to ask, right?

Just another slight "speed bump". Still like the car, just need to work out some bugs...
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did the '06 models have just a +, not the + in a circle?
My '06 key has a + in the circle
Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Mike. Sorry to point this out,but MarkInMLB said he got the blanks online. He did not get get them from the local hardware store. Only had them cut there.
( moderators, sheesh.........just kidding)
I shouldn't type and talk on the phone with a legal client at the same time I guess, my brain couldn't handle "are you going to pay your bill or am I going to commence litigation against you" and "key blanks not working" at the same time.

My apologies MarkInMLB, call it "distracted typing", I like your attitude though...just a little speed bump...going to remember that.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 AM

No problem Mike, better to focus on the client. I just hope you didn't end up telling him/her to send you their keys!

As for the attitude, it helps that this wasn't purchased as my primary vehicle (one that I'd have to depend on day to day). In fact, I got rid of my 99 Miata (the old toy) for this one as the family situation has changed, requiring a more "kid friendly" choice in the driveway. My eldest just started driving, and I had no intention of handing him the keys to a Miata (not enough metal to wrap a sandwich) . Assuming it survives the "teenage years", the HHR will make a fun toy for me when I "get it back" .

I'm going to call around and see if I can get the local Chevy dealer to reprogram these for me. The dealer I bought it from can't/won't help, as they're not even a GM dealer. I'm hoping its something as simple as there were already too many keys programmed previously, and that it just has to be wiped out and then all will go in . My son thought he saw that only 4 keys could be programmed at any one time.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Deceased

For some reason I had a "10 key limit" in my head, and here's that thread on key programming if you haven't seen it.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/second-key-24514/

And no I didn't tell the client to send me their keys, but a few year back I hit the wrong number on speed dial and tried to order my lunch from a State Judge. He still rags on me about it every time I run into him, "hey counselor! you want fries or chips with that?".
Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Now that's a funny story!

Thanks for that new link, I hadn't see that one, just the other 2 in my original post. It does possibly explain the discrepancy in the maximum number of keys. I too thought I had seen elsewhere in the forums that 10 was the limit of keys, but what he probably saw was the limit of fobs (4 per the last entry in that thread).

I think the "key" here (no pun intended) is for me to figure out what a flashing security light means. When I try to program the new keys via either method, that light flashes instead of staying solid on. If I use the "quick" method, the car will at least start initially with the new key, but shuts back down 10 seconds later on its own. The "30 minute relearn" method doesn't work at all. I'm just hoping I don't have a failing security module, BCM or worse, ECM. I saw someone else here had similar difficulties, but I didn't see a resolution (can't seem to find that thread right now).

Quick Reply: 06 LT won't learn new keys