Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

06 LT won't learn new keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Deceased

Here a link to an article for locksmiths on how to program new key blanks for the HHR, basically it details what a dealer would do with a scan tool.

http://mobile.locksmithledger.com/ar...i-theft-system

I guess I keep circling back to the key blanks, they could be duds, or just far enough out of spec that the HHR just doesn't "like" them.

One thing you can try is giving your HHR a "lobotomy" by disconnecting the negative battery cable for five minutes minimum, then reconnecting it. This will allow the BCM and other modules to get their acts together again, the repeated attempts at key programming may have triggered something spurious causing the security light to flash.

If you do try the "lobotomy", make sure you start the vehicle with the known "good" master key to avoid any issues like accidentally triggering the immobilization function of the security system.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM

Thanks for that link. I'm going to read through it so I have a better understanding of where things can go wrong. I'm thinking you're right about the blanks not being quite right, or "strong" as necessary.

I made a call to the vendor I got the blanks from, and the said that they did occasionally have problems with the aftermarket blanks on some vehicles. They were great, and are sending me an OEM replacement blank and comp'ing my original cost for the first 2 blanks, so it only cost me another $3 overall. Once I get it and prove it works , I'll order the 2nd extra then. Overall, it'll make me feel better knowing I can do this myself as opposed to taking it to the dealer for something that I should be able to do myself, and that I don't have some control module problem somewhere.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll post the final outcome.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM

It is not the key that gets programmed, but the car that gets programmed to accept the key. Just a small point that may cause confusion.

I thought that I had heard something to the effect that it is an RFID relation between the key and the steering column, not exactly to the BCM, but the scan tool is used to mess with it

Could be that unsuccessful attempts count for towards the total. 10 seems to stick in my mind also. Does the old key set the security light off?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Yeah donbrew, that was my understanding too. I guess my hope is that based on the suggestions here, and what the key vendor said, that its some kind of "weak or flawed return" from the key that's responsible for my problems.

My plan right now is to wait until I get the replacement blank, then try it again myself. If that doesn't work, I guess its a trip to the dealer for me.

The old key still works perfectly. If by 'set the security light off you mean turn it off, the answer is yes.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Keep in mind that GM vehicles manufactured to be exported program differently. Use the VIN to identify a vehicle manufactured to be exported, I believe the first number of the VIN would be a 2 or 3 instead of 1. As an example, Canadians require 2 existing programmed keys to add a new key and have to use a scan tool to add keys when all have been lost.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM

My spare key experience

My car had been repossessed and came with only one key. The first keys I bought online, explicitly ordered for the HHR, turned out to be marked for the wrong system. The online seller played dumb, but eventually sent me the correct keys free. I haven't gone back to check the old threads, but I seem to remember that the remote keyless entry fobs require the scan tool, but the keys themselves can be programmed by the methods mentioned above.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by RBradley
Keep in mind that GM vehicles manufactured to be exported program differently. Use the VIN to identify a vehicle manufactured to be exported, I believe the first number of the VIN would be a 2 or 3 instead of 1. As an example, Canadians require 2 existing programmed keys to add a new key and have to use a scan tool to add keys when all have been lost.
All HHR's have VIN's starting with the number 3, which indicates the country of origin as Mexico.

Vehicles manufactured in the United States have VIN's starting with 1.

And Canadian built vehicles have VIN numbers starting with 2.

While Canadian market vehicles do differ from U.S. and Mexican market vehicles, VIN number country of origin designators were set by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1979 and 1980; ISO 3779 and ISO 3780, respectively.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM

Thank you for the clarification 843de, I'm not sure how to tell the country of destination for a vehicle then.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by RBradley
Thank you for the clarification 843de, I'm not sure how to tell the country of destination for a vehicle then.
Its nearly impossible to tell the country a vehicle was originally destined for by the VIN, but there are clues elsewhere. On Canadian market vehicles the driver's door will bear a certification label from Transport Canada with the GRWV etc. in Metric measurements, plus the instruments will be calibrated for KPH with the odometer registering in KM's.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM

Success!!! New OEM replacement key sent by the online vendor worked just fine. I'll likely order one more now that I know what to do, along with a remote "repair kit" since they carry those too for $7.