Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

08 HHR needs to flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:39 PM

08 HHR needs to flash

After an under the hood jump start, my tpms and keyless entry have stopped working. I believe I am correct in assuming that I need to flash the bcm. My dealer wants $100 to do it and all the do it yourself ways I have tried have failed. I tried on/off 8 times in ten seconds, on for 30 minutes, battery disconnect for 30 minutes, 10 mins. on/ 10 secs. off three times. Are there any other ways to do this so I dont have to pay my dealer 100 bucks after a jump start? HELP PLEASE!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 PM

By "under the hood jumpstart" do you mean that you followed the directions in the Owner Manual? Or, did you do like most do and just hook the cables up as if you were in the 90's.

I don't know why the BCM would need re flashing just because you jumpstarted the car correctly. I also don't know what that dance you did with the key and battery is all about.

The TPMS and keyless entry are both controlled by the RCDLR, so I'm guessing you may have a blown fuse. Check your Owner Manual for locations and exact fuses.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM

rondog,

I hope that you find a solution to your issue. If you do decide to have the dealership repair your concern I would be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM

Jump starting should have nothing to do with a bcm reflash I agree that checking fuses is a good place to start. I know there Is a reflash on the 08 car for the tpms not being able to relearn when rotating the tires. If you think you fried the bcm when jump starting then a reflash won't help you
Old 09-18-2013, 03:44 AM

don't think I fried bcm, but there is a known issue resulting from jump starting per the owners manual instructions. I read that gm sent out a bulletin to road service companies telling them to jump start the 08s at the battery only. All I know is that if you follow the instructions in owners manual and it messes something up, you should not have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. Enough soap box, back to original question... does anyone know of a way to flash bcm without going to dealer. For whatever reason the bcm is not recognizing the receiver and the general solution is to flash the bcm. Thanx
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 AM

May I ask what kind of assistance?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by rondog
don't think I fried bcm, but there is a known issue resulting from jump starting per the owners manual instructions. I read that gm sent out a bulletin to road service companies telling them to jump start the 08s at the battery only. All I know is that if you follow the instructions in owners manual and it messes something up, you should not have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. Enough soap box, back to original question... does anyone know of a way to flash bcm without going to dealer. For whatever reason the bcm is not recognizing the receiver and the general solution is to flash the bcm. Thanx
I don't know what you are talking about.

If you connect your jumpers up correctly there should be no problem. I did have some problem jumping my old 08 under the hood, but that was because my cables had a bad time getting into the shock tower.

If GM did send a notice out it was to protect the customers from idiot service "dudes" who think that anything square with 2 lugs under the hood is a battery.

NO! there is no way to ReFlash the BCM without a TechII scanner and a subscription to the technet and the operating system software. That will cost you somewhere in the vicinity of $50,000 per year.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 AM

Happened to me too. I have jumped it about 6 times total, always the correct procedure. For some unknown reason the second time wiped the memory for the tpms/remote start module, required a reflash from the dealer. Hasn't happened since.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I don't know what you are talking about.

If you connect your jumpers up correctly there should be no problem. I did have some problem jumping my old 08 under the hood, but that was because my cables had a bad time getting into the shock tower.

If GM did send a notice out it was to protect the customers from idiot service "dudes" who think that anything square with 2 lugs under the hood is a battery.

NO! there is no way to ReFlash the BCM without a TechII scanner and a subscription to the technet and the operating system software. That will cost you somewhere in the vicinity of $50,000 per year.
Thanks, Donbrew, for the concise answer to may question. As to the idea that there is no way that can happen, please see Prods post right under yours. Have a nice day.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Happened to me too. I have jumped it about 6 times total, always the correct procedure. For some unknown reason the second time wiped the memory for the tpms/remote start module, required a reflash from the dealer. Hasn't happened since.
I have never see that before but I do know that electronic module can do so strange this that aren't always in the books. I stand corrected ( 46 years old and still learning )