Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

12 error codes...damn

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM

12 error codes...damn

I went to have the transmission service , because it is, sometimes, shifting real hard.
The tech checked hooked up the computer and came up with the following codes:
P0562 - low voltage
I took the car to the battery shop I have been using for years, the charging system is in spec, as is the battery.
P0705 - trans. Range sensor, Park reverse...
P0711 - trans temp sensor
P0716 - input turbine sensor
P0717 - no low input turbine signal
P0719 - TCC/brake switch low signal
P0722 - output speed sensor low signal
P0011 - intake
P0013 - exhaust cam actuator
P0014 - exhaust cam position
P0128 - coolant thermostat

He believes the very first code is the problem. Does this make sense, it makes sense to me, but, this is beyond me. His recommendation is to take the car to an auto electric shop.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Founding Member

Transmission codes are most likely the TCM.

You also need a thermostat and the actuator solenoids.

See this thread on the solenoids.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/
Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Had the CEL been lit up for some time, or did it just recently come on?

And chevyMgr is right - if it was me I'd address replacing the cam actuator solenoids, and the thermostat first, then see if the transmission codes come back.

Ps: the solenoids and the p0010/11/13/14 codes will make the trans shift hard and the thermostat can jam open due to a deterorated gasket on it's internal valve, causing it to now warm up fast enough, which will throw a code, and disable the A/C at the same time. All those codes can be intermittant, and will come and go, until the problems are fixed.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by STony G
I went to have the transmission service , because it is, sometimes, shifting real hard.
The tech checked hooked up the computer and came up with the following codes:
P0562 - low voltage
I took the car to the battery shop I have been using for years, the charging system is in spec, as is the battery.
P0705 - trans. Range sensor, Park reverse...
P0711 - trans temp sensor
P0716 - input turbine sensor
P0717 - no low input turbine signal
P0719 - TCC/brake switch low signal
P0722 - output speed sensor low signal
P0011 - intake
P0013 - exhaust cam actuator
P0014 - exhaust cam position
P0128 - coolant thermostat

He believes the very first code is the problem. Does this make sense, it makes sense to me, but, this is beyond me. His recommendation is to take the car to an auto electric shop.
So, you've been driving the car around with a CEL, and you were prompted to go to a trans shop because it's shifting hard? Why not wonder "what's that red light on the dash mean"?

You would HAVE to have a CEL on with those codes. But, no mention?

I am betting on a short somewhere or a bad ground.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
So, you've been driving the car around with a CEL, and you were prompted to go to a trans shop because it's shifting hard? Why not wonder "what's that red light on the dash mean"?

You would HAVE to have a CEL on with those codes. But, no mention?

I am betting on a short somewhere or a bad ground.
Sorry all, yes the CEL light came on, and according to my wife it all happened at the same time. I don't drive the car very often. I guess I better change that!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Is there option to buying the sensors from the dealer? I'm going to change the thermostat this weekend and see what happens.
I'll report back as I get parts replaced.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Yes parts are available after market. Check with Zone/Advance/Pep/Oreilly/Rockauto or any of your favorites. BUT, be sure of what you are asking for! There is a difference between Sensor and Actuator and Solenoid. Read the thread on this forum, it includes part numbers.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM

When I had the problem with hard shifting and the TC light I had gone to shop that was mostly a transmission shop twice I had him use his Snap-on scanner [ $4000.00 ] unit could not tell much info. So in reading on site Whopper has solved the problem so I bought the 2 solenoids $115.00 and 20 minutes time to change its been about 4 years and everthing works great no more hard shifting or codes, my auto-trans runs perfect. Thank you Whopper. my Hero.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by STony G
yes the CEL light came on, and according to my wife
AhHa all is explained! I had a similar experience with the wife's car. It never occurred to her to mention the flat tire, since she was sure that I could not change it. I can replace a clutch but not a flat tire, not to mention the 3 tire stores between home and the grocery store (2 miles) as far as she ever drives.

2000 Mazda with 39,000 miles.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Ockham's razor - the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

A cam actuator sensor can't cause all that at once. no sensor can. There is only one gremlin that can cause all that mess in one shot, and that is a bad ground. The usual culprit when engine electrics go all cattywompus is the ground strap, a flat, braided steel strap which runs from frame to engine, necessary due to the isolators in engine mounts. Check that first, it's like $3, and can throw EVERYTHING out of whack.

Quick Reply: 12 error codes...damn