Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

186,000 miles and its dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM

Unhappy 186,000 miles and its dead

Driving home from work yesterday my 2007 HHR LT Panel croaked.
There was no warning. It just started losing power and then died.
Right before it cut off I noticed that the temp gauge was reading zero, or whatever the lowest reading is.
There were no idiot lights, nothing at all to warn me that it was going to die.
When I noticed the temp gauge I turned on the heat and it was blowing cold.
It was still blowing hot that morning when I went to work.
I only drove for about one minute after it started losing power so I could attempt to make it to the next exit off the interstate.
I never made it.
I had it hauled to a local garage and they called today and said that there was a major compression issue and the engine was most likely toast.
They seemed to think that it would not be cost effective to attempt to diagnose and repair the engine.
They recommended engine replacement.
I have looked around and have found that I can purchase a fairly low mileage 2.4 ecotec engine for between $600 to $1000 and the shop wants $2200 to install it, including belts, filters, thermostats, fluids, etc....
But since Kelly Blue Book only values this car at between $2900 to $3700 I am wondering if its even worth dumping another $3000 into it to get it fixed.
I could probably buy another one for close to the same amount that I could get this one fixed for. I can't say that I have ever been very impressed with this thing anyway. Since I have had it I have had to replace or turn down the rotors about two times a year, have replaced the front wheel bearings, the struts, the sway bar links, the sway bar bushings, the starter, the windshield, the sunroof wind deflector brackets, and a bunch of bulbs. I guess I just expected to get more than 7 years out of a new car.
I commute 120 miles a day and need something that gets some decent mileage. I could really use a 4x4 pickup but I am not finding many low mileage, fuel efficient American trucks that I would trust for around the same amount it would cost to fix the car.
I'm definitely not wanting to saddle myself with another new car payment and my credit is such that I end up paying ridiculous interest rates for a used car or personal loan and I don't have cash on hand to buy anything either.
If I end up getting it repaired, it will have to be on a credit card.
I guess I am half ranting and half asking what would you do.
I have a rental right now and this thing is costing me $200/week so I need to make a decision before the weekend is over.
What would you do?

Last edited by donbrew; 01-16-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: no need to shout
Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

It's got 186,000 MILES. Things do wear out. But getting it off your chest is a good thing.

If it was me, I think I would like to know exactly the problem - if it is a head gasket issue, water pump, or head/valves issue, all are a lot cheaper and quicker to replace/fix than going a whole engine swap which looks like it will be in the $3000 range and will likely take a few days.

The shop should be able to determine the root cause fairly easily.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Administrator

X2 what Whopper said, a head gasket issue comes to mind
Old 01-16-2015, 04:35 PM

$1200 to install a used engine is more like it. Shop around.

I had a used engine installed out the door for $2000.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:33 PM

If it were me, I would definitely figure out the problem first. Stuff goes wrong on cars, the question is if it is worth it to you. You could look at it like this, why do car enthusiasts put tons off money into cars? Not because it makes sense but because they like that particular car. Hope you get it all worked out though.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I'm betting you didn't blow the engine. Get it checked by someone else reliable ........and really knows the HHR and related series of cars.

Really sounds like you went into limp mode and had a related electrical problem.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 PM

3K for a replacement used engine sounds high. Shop around.

I agree with Whopper; at 186k, the vehicle has given pretty good service.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

... and I'd really hate to see a Panel sent off to the junk yard. Sniff sniff
Old 01-17-2015, 01:22 AM
Deceased

I'll go with the group here, find out what's wrong and if it's repairable. Barring that, get a good used engine for a better price than $3,000 and put the critter back on the road.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
... and I'd really hate to see a Panel sent off to the junk yard. Sniff sniff
I agree. The panel is a fine looking vehicle. If it was mine, I'd be looking to see if I could get it repaired cheaper.

Quick Reply: 186,000 miles and its dead