Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2 problems with my wifes '09 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 PM

2 problems with my wifes '09 HHR

Problem 1 I might have found the cure for in another thread in this section dealing with the air bag light in the dash. Would give a warning for days on end then be problem free also for days on end. Started last summer then went away all winter. Now that it's starting to warm up again the problem is back. I'll try the one fix with pulling the passenger side kick panel and disconnecting and reconnecting the yellow plug several times then zip tying it so it will stay tight.

Problem 2 started 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed the sound coming from the passenger side front. It only makes this sound when turning the steering wheel left or right. Sounded like a spring pop or bong sound. Turns out it's the passenger side upper spring mount. Now I know what is causing this sound but I'd like to know what caused this to happen and how I would go about fixing this problem.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by audiostylz
Problem 1 I might have found the cure for in another thread in this section dealing with the air bag light in the dash. Would give a warning for days on end then be problem free also for days on end. Started last summer then went away all winter. Now that it's starting to warm up again the problem is back. I'll try the one fix with pulling the passenger side kick panel and disconnecting and reconnecting the yellow plug several times then zip tying it so it will stay tight.

Problem 2 started 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed the sound coming from the passenger side front. It only makes this sound when turning the steering wheel left or right. Sounded like a spring pop or bong sound. Turns out it's the passenger side upper spring mount. Now I know what is causing this sound but I'd like to know what caused this to happen and how I would go about fixing this problem.

Thanks for any help!
Does somebody place a large object on the passenger seat in cold weather? Does somebody leave a smart phone on the passenger seat in cold weather?

Either of those can cause the seatbelt light issue.

You will need to either live with the noise or (easiest fix) get new complete struts. They include all of the parts, no spring compressing needed, basic tools, no magic. SEARCH will show you how.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Administrator

I concur, Don.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Deceased

X3 to the above.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 PM

I agree to replacing the complete strut assembly.
Part number 8 would be what's making the noise. It's a bearing and over time it get hard to turn.
So instead of the bearing turn when you steer the spring coils up and then go's bong as the spring over comes the tight bearing and springs back into place.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Administrator

You can disassemble, clean and lubricate the bearing, you will need a spring compressor ,but if this is gone then so is the strut, might as well replace complete as Don stated.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Thanks guys.

I figured I would need to replace the whole strut, glad to know that I can replace the whole assembly without the need of a spring compressor even though I have that tool at my disposal.

As for leaving anything in the seat while cold outside, that is a negative. In fact the entire winter the air bag light did not show up. It showed up about 3 weeks ago as soon as the weather got above 45*.

The light will turn on in the dash with or without someone sitting in the passenger seat. Clear the air bag warning from the dash with the info button and 10 minutes later the display will show the warning again. I'll try the one fix I read about behind the passenger kick panel. Hope it's easy as cleaning up some corrosion.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM

I was talking about a TSB that warns of RF from from cellphones interfering with the butt in seat sensor. Also sometimes a heavy purse or bag will set it off.

I am not aware of any procedure included in the DIC for turning the airbag light off. You are either talking about something else or you really need to get a pro to look at the restraint system.

When you do anything to the airbag/restraint system you should disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable and wait at least 15 minutes for the capacitors to discharge.