Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2 Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:23 AM

Have you taken it to the dealership to fix the outside temp problem?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 AM

Yes, they replaced the sensor and next wanna do a flash, then maybe replace the BCM...Does this sound right ?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 AM

I have an 07 and took it in to my dealer and he gave me a print out (i think its out of the manual) it said some crap about the temp sensor only works if the car is running under 35 MPH for so many minutes or if its above 35MPH for at least 10 minutes or if the temp. was more then 10 degrees different I dont know I think it was just an easy way to get out of not fixing warranty stuff.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Black Raven 2008
Yes, they replaced the sensor and next wanna do a flash, then maybe replace the BCM...Does this sound right ?
Start small, work big. It will be a trial and error thing until you get it to work. All of the electronic stuff on newer cars is simply amazing to me. I pine for the old days......when you could replace a bulb or a speedo cable....now it's all sensors and computers.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sp52075
I have an 07 and took it in to my dealer and he gave me a print out (i think its out of the manual) it said some crap about the temp sensor only works if the car is running under 35 MPH for so many minutes or if its above 35MPH for at least 10 minutes or if the temp. was more then 10 degrees different I dont know I think it was just an easy way to get out of not fixing warranty stuff.
Is this what you're speaking of.....?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...erature+sensor
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 PM

welp thats what they told me.......... but went on a trip........ driving 70 miles per hour.... it stuck on 71 degrees for over 2 1/2 hours.... drove by a couple of those time/temp......... and it was stated 87 degrees...... it spazes out.... and dont work some times...........
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM

I have a brand new 2008 2LT HHR also and have had the vehicle back in 3 times to fix the outside temp sensor. They first replaced the outside sensor, than they did a reflash. Took it in two weeks ago for the same problem and they could'nt find anything wrong.

Yet my gauge still reads about 12 degree's off.

Im starting to get real PISSED!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Founding Member

BCM replacement fixes the temperature gage issue.

Most common cause is inadvertent pushing of the talk button on the steering wheel. Their about numerous bulletins on unwanted Onstar activation. I have hit the butten accidently myself. Here is part of one of them. Here is part of a PI on the issue. PI #PIC3278C

Scenario 2: This may involve a phantom call made to the OnStar® call center. The majority of these are due to the addition of the words "OnStar®" and "Emergency" to the voice recognition capability on early GEN 5 systems. The customer may press the White dot button or the steering wheel control button and the system misinterprets a sound or the spoken word as either OnStar® or emergency and places a call. This may be caused by either background noise or a cough etc. as well.

Scenario 3: If the OnStar® call center makes an outbound data call to a vehicle with GEN 4 or 5 hardware, it will only ring once in the vehicle before the call is automatically answered by the hardware - called auto-answer (GEN 3 rings indefinitely or until a white dot button press, GEN 6 and 7 do not ring into the vehicle when OnStar® connects for a data call). If the customer presses the white dot button the system will disconnect the OnStar® advisor from the vehicle. In this scenario the call center would only be calling back if they were disconnected at some point in time. All systems will ring into the vehicle when OnStar® places a voice call.

Scenario 4: Because the button assembly and associated wiring feeds voltage back to the OnStar® system based on the amount of voltage drop through each of the buttons, should the return line be partially shorted to voltage the system could interpret this voltage as a key press. If one of the buttons voltage is simulated, such as the Blue button, the system will make a phone call just as if the button had been pressed by the operator of the vehicle.

Scenario 5: This may be seen on GEN 2 and GEN 3 systems only. An outbound call is being made and will likely not complete and result in modem tone screech or fast busy beeping. The button assembly LED may or may not flash. The operator will not be able to end call by pressing the Call Answer/Call End (DOT) button. "Connecting to OnStar®" jingle is not heard. This condition may result in a dead battery. If "Connecting to OnStar®" jingle is NOT heard, replace VCU with appropriate part. If jingle is heard, follow normal diagnostics checking for unintentional call initiation and integrity of circuits between the VIU module and button assembly.

Scenario 6: Internal module fault. Some GEN 6 modules may exhibit a condition where "Phone Unavailable!" is heard repeatedly after the vehicle door is opened or key is cycled. The technician may find a DTC U1500 in the VCIM. Refer to PIC3718D for further information on this concern.

Scenario 7: Unwanted handsfree calling activation. A customer may report that the "Ready!" or "OnStar® Ready!" message is heard while driving. The customer may also advise that this seems to happen mostly while making a turn. In some cases it has been found that the customer is inadvertently pressing the "push to talk" button on the steering wheel controls. On rare occasions other issues in the steering column may induce this event.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The majority of reported Phantom Phone Calls can be attributed to either a normal or customer induced concern. It is important to verify all aspects of the customer concern in order to duplicate the condition.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 PM

mine dont have the ON STAR in it....