Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2 strange issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 AM

2 strange issues

Hey all! I'm new hear and love my HHR, (2008 LS) but I have some nagging issues going on.

First, I have the usual ignition cylinder issue but I can't start the car with the key. I can get the key in the ignition and turn it (with some jiggling at first), but it wont turn to the crank position. I have to remote start it then put the key in and remote start it. Had the cylinder changed in the summer of 2008 due to a similar problem (couldn't get the key out which they may have said they were going to change it, but could have been a problem with the shift sensor or something and just fixed that).

Second, I went on a 16 hour road trip and noticed that my gas mileage went from 32-33MPG (6-7L/100KMS) to 23-26MPG (9-10L/100KMS). I have a K&N air filter in it which I installed recently, but it doesn't make any noticeable difference whatsoever. No errors (except I don't have a tire pressure valve in the right-rear tire so I get that error) and I can't see anything else wrong.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks all!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by labtec6
Hey all! I'm new hear and love my HHR, (2008 LS) but I have some nagging issues going on.

First, I have the usual ignition cylinder issue but I can't start the car with the key. I can get the key in the ignition and turn it (with some jiggling at first), but it wont turn to the crank position. I have to remote start it then put the key in and remote start it. Had the cylinder changed in the summer of 2008 due to a similar problem (couldn't get the key out which they may have said they were going to change it, but could have been a problem with the shift sensor or something and just fixed that).

Second, I went on a 16 hour road trip and noticed that my gas mileage went from 32-33MPG (6-7L/100KMS) to 23-26MPG (9-10L/100KMS). I have a K&N air filter in it which I installed recently, but it doesn't make any noticeable difference whatsoever. No errors (except I don't have a tire pressure valve in the right-rear tire so I get that error) and I can't see anything else wrong.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks all!
I would bet the key not turning to crank is the lock cylinder again. Sometimes you get a bad one as a replacement (I did on my 06).
For the mileage, had your previous road trips been in summer or winter? If they had all been in warmer weather, maybe the winter blend fuel has something to do with it. Also, if you were traveling faster on your most recent trip, that could explain it. Finally, is your car warming up to normal operating temperature? I would think it would throw a check engine light if it wasn't but I'm not sure.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
I would bet the key not turning to crank is the lock cylinder again. Sometimes you get a bad one as a replacement (I did on my 06).
For the mileage, had your previous road trips been in summer or winter? If they had all been in warmer weather, maybe the winter blend fuel has something to do with it. Also, if you were traveling faster on your most recent trip, that could explain it. Finally, is your car warming up to normal operating temperature? I would think it would throw a check engine light if it wasn't but I'm not sure.
I figured I'd have to replace the cylinder again, but it's out of warantee, so I'd have to pay for it.

As for mileage, I've driven long distances in summer and winter. I don't know why it is making any difference now when it wasn't before. I tried unplugging the MAP sensor and my mileage was the same as if it was plugged in, which I don't know if it would make a difference anyway.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Rain and snow will effect mileage...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 AM

If your car is still under 36K miles,the cylinder will still be free.Or if the car is over 36K and the part was changed within the last 12 months,it's still free.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ZTony8
If your car is still under 36K miles,the cylinder will still be free.Or if the car is over 36K and the part was changed within the last 12 months,it's still free.
Anytime I have a had a part repaced under warranty, it's warranty ran out with the originalw warranty. You only get the part's warranty if you pay for the part.

If that's changed, great. But somehow I doubt it.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cajun
Rain and snow will effect mileage...
True, but without rain and snow, I used to get at least 600km out of a tank. Now I'm lucky if I can get 530km. And it's all hwy driving.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ZTony8
I tried speaking to them and they won't do it under any circumstances without getting paid. I was really disappointed about it since one mechanic there told me they know about the problems with the cylinder, but the person I had to deal with said it is very rare for this problem to occur.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Unless the parts warranty policy is different in Canada,you're due at least the cylinder for free if the part was replaced less than a year ago.GM parts have a 12 month over the counter warranty whether installed at the dealer or not.Go back and ask to speak to management and see if that gets you anywhere.If not,call GM Canada and create some heat for the dealer.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 AM

solman,if you buy a part over the counter it has a 12 month warranty regardless of the age of the car of how many miles are on it.Some parts have lifetime warranties(like starters and generators-there are more.Check the list at your dealer.).If you have a warranty repair done the part(s) and labor are guaranteed for 12 months even if the car leaves the warranty period during that 12 months.

Quick Reply: 2 strange issues