Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 Base (LS) Consuming/Loosing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
A long shot would be the dreaded hairline crack in the block.
More info? Is this a common thing? Is there a TSB on it?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Just making a general statement about a possibility. Not a common problem at all.(cylinder to water jacket crack) I've seen it a few times on vehicles years back when I was in the auto repair business. Don't know about any tsb's either.
As I said, it is just a "longshot" guess. Once the head is removed, the tech should do a visual on the head,gasket and cylinder walls.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 PM

I had the same problem. Didn't really figure out where the coolant was going until I did an oil change about two weeks ago and it came out looking like chocolate milk. I just spent three days this week replacing the head gasket and a few other things while we had easy access. Did the repair and replaced the t-stat and water pump for about $450. Dealer wanted $1200 just for the head gasket replacement.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by StormChaser
P.S. Can someone confirm it has a timing chain? I see no mention of replacing the timing belt in the owners manual maintenance section, so I assume it is a chain.
I can confirm it is a timing chain, saw it with my own two eyes.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by bunz315
I had the same problem. Didn't really figure out where the coolant was going until I did an oil change about two weeks ago and it came out looking like chocolate milk. I just spent three days this week replacing the head gasket and a few other things while we had easy access. Did the repair and replaced the t-stat and water pump for about $450. Dealer wanted $1200 just for the head gasket replacement.
Did you happen to take pics? Find any quirks to the job? The manual seems to say that you need to replace the head bolts, are the "stretch bolts". Did you go to a machine shop at all, what did they say/do?

When I priced out the job, it "seemed" to come in at around $300 just for parts for the head gasket repair. Please elaborate.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 AM

Turns out it wasn't loosing coolant...that was my imagination...just a bad thermostat. All good now.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by StormChaser
Turns out it wasn't loosing coolant...that was my imagination...just a bad thermostat. All good now.
????? Hold on a minute. Your original post said you were loosing coolant AND having to top it off weekly. So what's the real story here? If you're first post is correct,then sounds like you still have a problem.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Well, we'll see what happens. I admit, I may have been topping it off when not needed. Adding coolant then allowing engine to totally cool then restart and get up to full warm seemed to make the gauges work, but it very well could have been just that the thermostat was un-sticking. It eventually got to the point where even topping off didn't fix it. With where the overflow tank is located and the fact that every time it happened it jsut happened to be dark...it may have been fine and I just messed up. Time will tell. I just know the gauges work now, and level seems stable for now...time will tell.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

So what you're saying is your definition of "topping off" is adding a small amount to the overflow? People need to realize that method just doesn't work most of the times. You have to check the coolant level IN the radiator. Also these engines can get that air pocket internally which then needs to be burped or bleed out.
I'm still curious about the original post of adding coolant. If you were adding it weekly, then it must have been low. If it was low,then there must be some sort of leak. So were did the original coolant go? See my point.
If there is no leak as you say, then where did the coolant go that you topped off with? Either your resevoir is slam full or you really didn't add very much.
Not trying to jump on you here, just trying to state a few things that might help you out.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM

No, I totally see what you mean. I kinda feel like an idiot. I've done total restorations on 2 cars and rebuilt both engines in my boat, yet I blow this diagnosis? Ugh. I suspect the additional coolant I added was jsut pushed out as over-flow after the engine heated up.

Quick Reply: 2008 Base (LS) Consuming/Loosing Coolant