Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 HHR Dashboard Lights up like a Christmas Tree

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Almost two months later - still experiencing the same effects.

I have now had the HHR in two different Chevy Dealers and both respond with a "We don't know what the resolution is to this problem."

Interestingly, the problem goes through a cycle, where the car is working fine one minute, then the bells and gauges all go stupid. This lasts for a few days (all the while, the transmission shifts hard) then the problem seems to ease up, the transmission shifts properly and the lights and gauges behave and all is well for a few days and then the cycle repeats itself again.

I have taken it around to self own auto repair facilities here in Bakersfield and finally found one mechanic who seems to understand the different components that make up the electrical system and is willing to tackle it.

I take it in on Tuesday.

I'll keep you informed as to the final resolution... or if this saga continues.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote: "This lasts for a few days (all the while, the transmission shifts hard) then the problem seems to ease up, the transmission shifts properly"

The transmission shifts hard because of whichever triggered trouble code. The car suspects a problem and goes into "limp mode". After so many key cycles
and/or days(as you stated above), the trouble code(CEL) will clear and the transmission will return to normal shifting.

You would benefit from having a code reader in the car with you. When the problem occurs again, you could pull the codes right then. That would point you to what's being effected by this electrical issue.

Fwiw. Sounds like a definite electrical connection issue. Could be a positive or negative connection.
I would suggest checking all the ground points, especially under the hood.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:58 AM

My money is on the "top half and bottom half problem".

The underhood fuse box is in two halves. The top half is where the fuses live, it connects to the bottom where the wiring lives via pins. The 2 halves can become loose and do an intermittent thing, sometimes a connection can fry.

I'll try to find an illustration.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:56 PM

Well here is a youtube that at least illustrates. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Thanks for posting the video, Donbrew.

I actually had watched the video before I posted here. I guess his model of HHR is a different than mine. I followed the instructions and mine doesn't separate like it is shown in the video.

Mean while, the car is now at a mechanics shop. He called yesterday with the update that he pulled all of the codes and cleared them. He found one code immediately came back - the steering column calibration was out of calibration. He calibrated it and said it may have been "a" problem, but not "the" problem. Unfortunately for me, the car is in the "ok" mode phase and he is trying to get it to repeat - which may take a day of so.

I'll update as I learn new information.

And thanks for all of the help - I appreciate it!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:02 PM

As far as I can tell it's the same part number for all years and models. My 2011 has the same box as my 2008 did.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:08 PM

Is this an SS? I don't think other models have a steering calibration.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:36 PM

I had all these same symptoms in my 08 hhr. I had the local dealer do the ignition recall and it fixed all the issues.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Day three after the Steering Wheel Calibration was re-calibrated and have not had any re-occurring events so far.

@donbrew - No, this isn't an SS, it is LT model. Also, if the box fuse box separates, I wasn't able to do so.

@fine69 - Interesting that you should bring this into the conversation. I inquired of the mechanic if that ignition recall service could have created this issue and he didn't think so. However, these issues didn't exist prior to the ignition change out. Hummmm.

More to come!

Did I say thank you to everyone for their input? If not, Thanks!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:40 AM

So, it wasn't the Steering wheel caslibration either.... but!

RESOLUTION!!! WOW! What a struggle this was! MY dashboard lights, bells and whistles (ok, that was a stretch) are now functioning normally!

It turns out that the ABS computer module/unit was the culprit all along. I found a competent mechanic who was able to dig into all of the information available and resolved this issue within a few days. It has now been over two weeks and my little HHR is now running like it used to - perfect and flawlessly!

Again, thank you everyone who assisted with this journey and I hope that anyone else that might have this same issue is able to resolve their problem with the help of this thread!

Quick Reply: 2008 HHR Dashboard Lights up like a Christmas Tree