Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2009 HHR with Pioneer stereo issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:23 AM

2009 HHR with Pioneer stereo issues

Has anyone had as much trouble with their stereo as I have had?

2009 HHR 2LT with 11900 miles
Pioneer premium 7 speaker system with USB.

I bought this new. It is now 3+ years old and has 11,900 miles. The first radio failed 3 months after I bought it. It was replaced per GM tsb for a programming issue with the XM radio that caused the display and controls to lock. 2 yeas later I was replaced again for the same reason. 11 months after that I find that the USB port is non functional. The dealer has been great about the as has GM but after 3 more tries at getting a unit that operates correctly, I now have a stereo that worked for 6 - 7 key cycles and now will not even turn on. When I picked the car up I tried to turn is on and no good. The tech came out and disconnected the battery. It worked for about 6-7 times then no more radio. They are trying to get another unit that works but so far have had no luck.

Anyone have any history or info on these radio's? From what I have read I can't even get an aftermarket unit to work as they run other functions through it, such as the turn signals, blue tooth, door chimes, etc.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 AM

I would start thinking that the issue is something else that is causing these radios to fail. Be it the programing by the techs or the bcm or something else in the car. That is just too many radios to be failing right now. Several years is one thing and even that first 3 month one would not have me looking elswhere but now you can not get a radio to stay working over a short period of time. This is really suggesting to think out side the box.

As for aftermarket radios many of us have them. To retain the chimes and signals get a GM lan 03 or 04 that is correct for your cars options and you will be fine. I got my dash kit + harness adapter + antenna adapter for $70. I now have a Pioneer DEH 80prs internal DSP HU in my dash.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM

@Dragonslayer, your situation is the first I have read about this type of thing with the head units. I apologize, I’m unable to diagnose since I’m not a technician.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM

I having a issue with my radio too, mine will just shut off, it stays off for about a minute then come back on , but all my setting are reset , clock too,