Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

248 degrees, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Deceased

Not to be the voice of doom here, but keep a good eye on your coolant level and check your oil for milky contamination in the next few days. I'm concerned you might have gotten hot enough to damage the head gasket.

Have you checked for fan function with the A/C on, since that will cause the fan to activate. Its a quick way to determine if its the fan motor or another issue.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Not to be the voice of doom here, but keep a good eye on your coolant level and check your oil for milky contamination in the next few days. I'm concerned you might have gotten hot enough to damage the head gasket.

Have you checked for fan function with the A/C on, since that will cause the fan to activate. Its a quick way to determine if its the fan motor or another issue.
OK, I just went outside and turned on the A/C, and it "clicks", but I don't think the fan is coming on, I always remember the fan being semi-loud, and I just don't think it came on. But hitting the A/C button does cause some noise.... Oh, and I let it idle up to 232*, then shut it off. The fan did not engage at all. Something is definitely wrong. Ugh... Now, I'm stressed. FWIW, no Temperature Warning lights or message came on, I just noticed it was kinda up there.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Deceased

Sounds like the fan motor has failed, once things have cooled down enough to safely reach in there(like after sitting all night), try to spin the carefully with a long bladed screwdriver. If it doesn't turn freely you've isolated the problem to the fan itself, if its spins freely with no noise or squeal then you need to dig deeper.

If you need to use it to go get parts or take it in to the dealer, the ram air through the bottom intake will keep you cool enough to be safe, but avoid idling in traffic. Just shut the engine off at lights, the temp will climb a bit but not as quickly as it would with the engine running.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 PM

I did have the radiator replaced recently because it got damaged by an object in the road. Is it possible that maybe that the fan needs to be "plugged in"? Does that make sense? Maybe the shop forgot to do it?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Deceased

Its entirely possible that they managed to not connect the fan, it has happened. The connector for the fan is located on the lower side of the motor assembly, you might be able to reach it from above. Just be careful in reaching around the fan until the engine has cooled completely, since the fan can start by itself at any time when the engine is warm.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 PM

Same here

mine does this too. it will get up to around 232-249 at random times but it only happens when im parked. i watched it while stuck in stop and go traffic going up a steep bridge and not once did it go over the normal 183-189
Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Malanchi
mine does this too. it will get up to around 232-249 at random times but it only happens when im parked. i watched it while stuck in stop and go traffic going up a steep bridge and not once did it go over the normal 183-189
This is exactly what happens to me. My radiator was replaced 3 months ago. It's entirely possible that I have not noticed until now that the fan is not working. I have even towed with it, without overheating. Stop-and-go traffic does not cause it to overheat for me, it rarely reaches 220. Only time it's ever been an issue is when leave it parked running. I will make sure I don't do that anymore.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 AM

The fans should come on progressively, not just on/off. But they should definitely be spinning by 230+.

Here is a chart from hp tuners showing fan speed vs coolant temperature. This is a 2008 2.4. I checked a 2.2 file as well and it was the same. They were cobalt files, but hhr's should be similar if not the same.

Name:  Fan_speed.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  27.9 KB
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 AM

You don't need to 'hear it'. Just open the hood and look to see if the fan is spinning. At 250 degrees, you should check your oil.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Sounds like the fan motor has failed, once things have cooled down enough to safely reach in there(like after sitting all night), try to spin the carefully with a long bladed screwdriver. If it doesn't turn freely you've isolated the problem to the fan itself, if its spins freely with no noise or squeal then you need to dig deeper.

If you need to use it to go get parts or take it in to the dealer, the ram air through the bottom intake will keep you cool enough to be safe, but avoid idling in traffic. Just shut the engine off at lights, the temp will climb a bit but not as quickly as it would with the engine running.
Ok, I just went outside the morning after the car had been sitting all night long, and tried to rotate the fan. It moved around freely, did not squeal or make any noise either.

Quick Reply: 248 degrees, is this normal?