Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ac

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 04:47 AM

Ac

Hey, Merry Christmas! 🎄 🎄
I recently changed the evaporator on my hhr. It all went well.
However the gas leaked out somehow in a weird way around 2 weeks ago. We didn't know the gas was low as we had just refilled it about 3 weeks prior to that.
I noticed that the smaller of the AC line pipes under the hood was cooling a lot (it should normally be the hot one) and the larger of the pipes was normal to warm to the touch (which should normally be the cold, freezing, sweaty one). We took it to the AC mechanic and he said it was just low on gas, and he proceeded to add about a can of refrigerant and it came back to normal. This was two weeks ago.
This Sunday, all was good on a ride to the church, but it just seemed like it was all out on the way back. It was just warm air. The Compressor was kicking in, but there was no cold air blowing. It was just regular normal air. After we got home, I checked the pipes only to find out they were acting funny exactly like the last time. The cold pipe was normal and the hot pipe was cold and freezing.
I think it might be leaking, although I can't explain the pipe temperature issue. If the refrigerant has leaked out, the Compressor shouldn't kick in, right? But it does in mine even though it seemingly has no refrigerant.
One more thing, I did suggest they vaccum the AC system as the car was left under a shed with the pipes exposed as we couldn't find an evaporator in time. I was thinking maybe the air should be drawn out, but the mechanic said it's fine as long as you feel it cooling.
Any thoughts? Help is greatly appreciated.

Allen P

Old 12-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

If the AC is opened (as in repairs or damaged and replacing parts) then it Must Be vacuumed before refilling with refrigerant. Pulling a vacuum is done to remove air, moisture and is a means of checking for leaks in the system.
Your "mechanic" is wrong.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:28 AM
Administrator

X2^^^^^, and FMG knows his AC service ! Get a new HVAC mechanic! One that knows what he or she is doing!
Old 12-29-2021, 07:43 AM

That was the exact opposite of what the guy did. He filled (instead of vacuuming) the system with air to check for leaks and then proceeded to put in refrigerant.
I will get it checked elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Good idea! The system must be evacuated of any thing other then refrigerant and some lubricant oil.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:52 PM

As mentioned have a AC person check it out! Leaving contaminants in the system can cause damage! So a Evac is a Must. Plus they will see a system leak if the gauge does not hold a vacuum
They will check all connections and even have a dye they can put in to help trace a leak
Please update what you find out

Thanks
Old 12-30-2021, 11:33 PM

If the system has been open for any length of time a new drier must be installed.
You can then evacuate the system and add dye with either nitrogen (inexpensive) or with refrigerant. You can then find the leak with a black lite. Alternately a pro can find a leak with a sniffer.
Never put compressed air into the system, it will contaminate it and require flushing and a new drier.

If it works for several weeks, my guess would be the compressor shaft seals slow leaking if it is the original compressor.