Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

ac problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 07:51 PM
LON

ac problems

hello
i hope someone can point me in the right direction.
my vehicle is a chevy hhr lt 2009. the problem is with the ac it blows hot and the compressor doesnt kick on. im not going to a new ac system because the car isnt worth much it runs and drives.
thinking it just needed a charge i tried a can of ac recharge while putting the r134 in the motor bogged down. the air did blow slightly cooler but not cold. the air then blew hot no cool air at all after a minute and the motor ran as normal. when looking at the compressor it is not spinning. all fuses, relays and diodes are functioning correctly. im assuming because the motor bogged down during the refill the compressor was working. am i correct? in assuming that.

edit
i looked at the compressor again and its not engaging. what threw me was as i added the r134 the motor bogs down any ideas as to what would cause this? i havent had the pleasure of messing with ac systems and looking for ideas on where to go next other than a shop if i can get a clue as to whats going on would be a huge help and any info would be appreciated
heres what i know
the compressor doesnt kick on
im assuming its not leaking the pressure when i started was 55psi then shot up to over 100 and held
the condenser has a dent on the top of it pushing the top "vents" into the second layer
would that clog the condenser?
im also assuming the heater core has nothing to do with the evaporator
in anyones experience how common is it that the evaporator will clog? is clogging a common issue?
if i missed anything ask and ill answer the best i can
i live on a fixed income and the ac just needs to get me through the rest of this summer with this heatwave going on i need to fix this asap cheap as possible.
thanks for your time in advance

Last edited by LON; 07-27-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:46 PM

You're going to have to bite the bullet and take it to the pros. As refrigerant leaks out, contaminants leak in. The refrigerant needs to be evacuated, system tested for leaks, and refilled using guages (not the single Guage that comes with some refill cans). They can also test the compressor to see if that's the problem.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by LON
thinking it just needed a charge i tried a can of ac recharge while putting the r134 in the motor bogged down. the air did blow slightly cooler but not cold.
i looked at the compressor again and its not engaging. what threw me was as i added the r134 the motor bogs down any ideas as to what would cause this?
When the system got enough pressure from the added 134A and it kicked in the compressor did it make noise? With the bogging makes me think the compressor is going and putting heavy load on the engine.
Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:17 AM
LON

Originally Posted by greg8453
When the system got enough pressure from the added 134A and it kicked in the compressor did it make noise? With the bogging makes me think the compressor is going and putting heavy load on the engine.
Just a thought.
its hard to tell with engine noise. i have access to the fill gauges that the red line goes to the high side blue to the low side yellow to fill
as far as going to the pros its not worth it to me. they already told me $150-$200 just to diagnose it. im on a fixed income, i already know the ac doesnt work and can get a complete ac kit with r134 and oil for $400 and not waste $150 on a diagnosis.
if i can get by with some relief from the heat at a minimum cost for the rest of the summer id be happy
i was just hoping to pick some brains and hopefully find a cheaper solution.
i know some members have experience with these trucks like is the condenser a common part that fail? because the compressor went out , because the condenser has a dent on the top tier could it clog and cause the compressor to fail?
if i planned on keeping the truck no questions asked i would drop the $400 on a complete ac kit and be done with it. as it sits im hoping be able to get away with minimum cost to get me threw the summer
Old 07-28-2023, 08:11 AM

A dent in the condenser might be the point of leakage. Any oily residue around it?
You closed your eyes when filling?
It is normal for shops waive the diagnostic fee if they do the repair. They don't do work for free.
Old 07-29-2023, 02:20 AM
LON

i lifted the truck up and saw all the dye leaking out of the lines at the compressor. a neighbor came over told it was a bad compressor and the condenser should be ok. went and got a used compressor, my neighbor spun it and the plugs popped out gave his approval and i installed it. he then gave me access to his vacuum and manifold 2 hours later it was ready to fill now i have artic air. as llong as it gets me through the rest of the summer ill be happy
i didnt see any dye ay any fittings put new flat seals in and it holds vacuum.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Awesome, now enjoy the drive, chill!
Old 07-29-2023, 07:34 AM
LON

will do! thanks
Old 07-29-2023, 08:06 AM

That's a good neighbor. That probably would have cost you $600 at a shop. You should get him some concert tickets or something.