Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Air Condition Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
Thanks. I think I'll try and get mine in next week.
I wonder if dealerships normally stock the parts, or if this will be a 2-trip fix???
I would call your dealership first and make an appointment. These parts aren't usually stocked and takes a day to get them in. My first trip in they found metal in my compressor oil so they replaced it (the compressor) and flushed out the system. After that it was much quieter but still made the whining / growling noise a little. 2nd trip in was after they published the TSB so they replaced the components and that quieted everything down. Now it all works great. -Dan
Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
Thanks. I think I'll try and get mine in next week.
I wonder if dealerships normally stock the parts, or if this will be a 2-trip fix???
Mine was a two trip fix as well. Only took a week or so to get the parts in.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 PM

Just got back from picking up the HRR after the A/C TSB fix.. Wow - nice and quite just like it should be!!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Mine was a two trip fix as well. Only took a week or so to get the parts in.

You would think the dealers would keep a couple of these repair kits, or whatever, on hand since this noisy A/C compressor seems to be a recurring problem to some of us. If I was the one driving the HHR that "Whine" would really bug me !! But, my Wife says it doesn't bother her. So, whatta ya gonna do?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:43 AM

A/C noise

I've had my HHR since May and noticed the same growling noise when you turn on the AC. During a recent trip to Las Vegas when it was 115 degrees it started making a really loud whining noise any time the AC was on. If I turned the AC off the noise went away. It did it when I first started the car in the morning and then after the car heated up. After we returned from Vegas the whining noise stopped, but still have the growling noise. I took it to the dealer today to see what is going on.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ncampbell21
I've had my HHR since May and noticed the same growling noise when you turn on the AC. During a recent trip to Las Vegas when it was 115 degrees it started making a really loud whining noise any time the AC was on. If I turned the AC off the noise went away. It did it when I first started the car in the morning and then after the car heated up. After we returned from Vegas the whining noise stopped, but still have the growling noise. I took it to the dealer today to see what is going on.
Sounds like the A/C lines. There is a TSB on this noise HERE; the cure is to replace the lines. Print out the TSB and take it to your dealer. I had mine done and it is very quiet now.
The dealer will have to order them, so your best bet is to go down and have them write it up, then they will order the parts and call you when they come in.

Best of luck,
Old 09-03-2006, 01:43 AM

my ac howled fro the git go and has been driving me crazy!
thank for theTSB and help findint it I wiil go in this week
Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 11:36 AM

I brought mine in two weeks ago. They told me that the parts were on national backorder and they would call when the parts came in.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:50 PM

Ok i printed off the TSB...So what do i do as far as calling them...I mean i just call them and say hey the ac is making wierd noise and this is what you need to replace...??? What is a TSB anyways..???
Old 09-03-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by big_coop69
Ok i printed off the TSB...So what do i do as far as calling them...I mean i just call them and say hey the ac is making wierd noise and this is what you need to replace...??? What is a TSB anyways..???
I printed it out, brought it to the service department and said "My AC is making noise, and I believe this is the fix". They told me they'd look at it and let me know. They ordered the parts for me, now I'm just waiting for them.

BTW: My service department appreciated me bringing in the TSB. I felt a little weird at first, and didn't want them to think I was doing their job, but it was helpful to them.

Quick Reply: Air Condition Compressor