Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Alternator Died

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Alternator Died

Hello all! It's been a while since I have posted here. The HHR was my first car at the ripe old age of sixteen, and has lasted me through college and now into law school. I have had no issues with it, except for a little rear ending incident. Yesterday, the engine would not turn over on the first two tries, and on the third try it did, but at the cost of the serpentine belt and the alternator. Apparently, the alternator was locked up, and when the engine finally turned over it broke the belt. No worries though, a relatively inexpensive fix it should be. I have only put around 67,000 miles on it up until this point.

As for my HHR, I love it. I can't wait until I get a job so I can finally get another car so my hhr will be the secondary car because this car will never be leaving my hands.

Last edited by Steelcity; 08-02-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Administrator

glad to see you still love your HHR
Old 08-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Deceased

That's HHR loyalty, and a great attitude to have when something breaks, fix it and move on to enjoy your ride some more.

Law school eh?

Phew! That means I won't be the only lawyer here, yay!

Which law school are you attending for your J.D.?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Steelcity
Hello all! It's been a while since I have posted here. The HHR was my first car at the ripe old age of sixteen, and has lasted me through college and now into law school. I have had no issues with it, except for a little rear ending incident. Yesterday, the engine would not turn over on the first two tries, and on the third try it did, but at the cost of the serpentine belt and the alternator. Apparently, the alternator was locked up, and when the engine finally turned over it broke the belt. No worries though, a relatively inexpensive fix it should be. I have only put around 67,000 miles on it up until this point.

As for my HHR, L love it. I can't wait until I get a job so I can finally get another car so my hhr will be the secondary car because this car will never be leaving my hands.

I'm really sorry to hear this and would like to offer a helping hand. Could you please private message me your name, address, phone number, vehicle identification number, and current mileage? This will allow me to look up your history and do further research.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Law school eh?

Phew! That means I won't be the only lawyer here, yay!

Which law school are you attending for your J.D.?
I’d bet, you’re the only one who admits to it.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 PM

Thanks everyone!
843de- I am at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law! I had other offers from higher ranked schools, but they didn't give enough scholarship money. (like Notre Dame, which kindly asked me to attend at an astronomically low price of 65k per year, including COL, for three years) I'm entering my second year, so this is the time where we find out if we have been selected for interviews by the big law firms, and all of that fun stuff. Fortunately, I did well enough to be on a journal, so it should be interesting.

Jennifer- It's alright! It's not an extremely difficult fix. The PM is on the way!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Deceased

Excellent school Steelcity, on a journal in your second year, very impressive.

Don't sweat the interviews, the cream rises to the top as they say.

With two scholarships eating away some of the expenses, it still took me ten years to fully repay my loans from attending Harvard. Notre Dame is up to $65K a year, wow!

Good luck with your studies, the second year will challenge you, the third year will hone you, and passing the bar will open the door to varied and fantastic opportunities.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 AM

I replaced the alternator on Saturday with pretty much no trouble. The old one had a crack in it, and also appeared to have corroded somehow.
843de- Thanks for the advice! Almost all of my professors are grads of Harvard and Yale, naturally. I have only run into one that has been just dreadful, and he was not a graduate of said schools. I'm not sure if you have worked with any Pitt Law grads, but there are a lot in the DC area, especially within the IRS, Commerce, and SEC agencies as well as some of the larger law firms.