Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Another Noise Problem - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Another Noise Problem - Need Help

Ok guys, so I was driving my 07 HHR the past week and noticed the oil light would come on for a second while going around a turn hard and then go off fast. so I figured the oil was a little low. I also know that I am due for an oil change. It is overdue by about 3k Miles. I do not use the DIC, I usually change every 4k. ok anyway I rode the car to work, which is about 10 minutes or so and didn't notice anything weird.

Drove it home and was getting a really bad noise from the front of the car, which appears to be towards the top of the engine. it gets louder and more pronounced when gas is applied. under idle, you can barely hear it. I also know that I have a engine mount which needs to be replaced as well as the stupid flex pipe. Anyway, i'm hoping this is not any internal engine damage, as that would SUCK!

Youtube Video of Sound is @
, should be live in a few minutes.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

You didn't check to see if the oil level was low after having the oil light come on, and you kept driving it? If so, I don't think we can help much at this point - you need to have it towed to a garage.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 AM

X2

Just because you support oil companies by changing your oil 3 times more than necessary does not mean you don't have to worry about it. Big oil does not take care of your car for you, no matter how much money you give them.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

From the video it sounds like no oil pressure. Seems to be valvetrain clatter.
Did you check the oil level?
Old 10-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

As others have mentioned.....

Oil level?
Timing Chain?
Tensioner?
Valve problem (top end)?

Use a stethoscope to locate the exact position of the noise. Or a piece of plastic pipe, screw driver...if you are really good. Might take 2 people. Be careful of moving parts......which might correct your problem by lubricating with you blood and finger components.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM

I knew the oil light was a little low, and I did put 2 quarts of oil to top it off, but I must have an oil leak somewhere, because it looses oil in between oil changes. Anyway, the oil level is fine now. I was waiting until this weekend to do the oil change anyway, so I didn't think it would be a major problem. Especially considering it would only come on when I cornered a tight curve and would go off immediately.

I can't imagine the engine was starving for oil. wouldn't the oil light stay on if it was extremely low?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator

the timing chain tensioner is oil pressure related so if the oil is low there could be temporary oil pressure drop causing the chain to maybe skip a tooth or two but this would make noise at all speeds, change the oil and filter and check it out to see if this resolves this noise issue but it most likely will not, hey fingers crossed for you. and did any CEL codes pop up???
Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Two quarts low? and "would only come on when I cornered a tight curve and would go off immediately" - Oh man...................

You also had a problem some time ago where it was overheating and you changed the thermostat, THEN when it continued to overheat you then checked and found the coolant was low and you "dumped almost a gallon of water into it".

and also had 4 flex pipes go in a short period of time.

You really do need to read your owners manual - and maybe take a course in basic vehicle maintenance. Best of luck. This is too painful to watch - I'm out of this one.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Deceased

While an oil and filter change may quiet it down for a day or three, commence searching for a good used 2007 L-61 engine from an HHR.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 AM

Ok so mechanic said he thinks it is a rod wrist pin. If that be the case, time for another engine. This ****in sucks.

And I'm usually good with maintaining my vehicles, thank you though.

I am going to change the oil and put Lucas additive in it and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Another Noise Problem - Need Help