Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Another oil leak thread....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Another oil leak thread....

Fellow HHR'ers,

Here is my problem:

I have a 06 2.4 with 170K miles on it. It has been leaking oil for the past 4K miles. It is a nice size leak that is eating about a 1-1.5 every 1000K.

I took it to the dealer (I don't have an independent mechanic I can trust....I know...) and after putting dye in the oil the verdict was that the seal between the lower and uppers pieces of the crankcase has failed. This would require the removal of the engine to fix it. Not happening.

Here is why I think there might be more to this: The oil only leaks after my 30 mile highway commute with a warm car. I would think a failed gasket or seal would allow it to seep continuously and I would always see some oil leaking (at least that is the case with main seals, right? once they leak, they leak?) I am speculating that I might have a fault in the engines PCV system which is generating too much crankcase pressure while the car is at load and the oil is going through the failed seal. My hope is that by cleaning the PCV system I could slow down the leak.

Do you guys think this makes any sense? Also, where in the world are the PCV hoses for ecotec? I know there isn't a valve but I can't seem to find my way around in this engine bay (I am used to my old Honda...).

Thanks a lot for the help.

Cheers,

Leo
Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 PM

According to the haynes manual the crankshaft oil seals are replaceable with the engine in the car...The manual says that pretty much every repair, beside a complete rebuild is able to be done with the engine in the car

word for word...

"If vacuum, exhaust, oil or coolant leaks develop, indicating a need for a gasket or seal replacement, the repairs can generally be made with the engine in the vehicle. The intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, oil pan gasket, crankshaft oil seals and cylinder head gasket are all accessible with the engine in place"
Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM

It is possible for oil leaks to be intermittent. As the engine heats up different pieces expand at different rates. The oil seals and gaskets have to expand and contract to maintain a seal. They fail when they can't expand properly mostly from age or over heating.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:39 PM

This should be the one of the hoses you are looking for...not sure though
Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 PM

If I under stand your post the leak is coming from between the upper and lower engine case. If that is correct then engine removal would be recommended.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM

^my bad...I misread the original post...I was thinking the shaft seals for some reason...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Deceased

If it's leaking between the upper and lower block assemblies, Lucky is right, the engine has to come out and be torn down.

I'd suggest a dye test to determine the exact location of the leak, because yanking the engine would be a horrible way to find out the leak isn't where you think it is.

Oil leak detection kits with fluorescent dye are available at any good auto parts store, some even include a battery powered "blacklight" too.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:04 PM

His post states that the dealer did a dye test. But before you invest in a project like that I would want to have it confirmed by completely washing it down and retest for leaks. I have seen techs make mistakes ( my self included ) and not see a very thin line of oil running down from something above and traveling across the seam where the two haves meet.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Deceased

You are correct Lucky, I missed the first dye test, have to remember my reading glasses are on top of my head before I type a reply.

That being said, if it were my engine, I'd do another dye test just to make sure it isn't oil traveling from another location and mimicking a "worst case scenario" leak.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lucky
His post states that the dealer did a dye test. But before you invest in a project like that I would want to have it confirmed by completely washing it down and retest for leaks. I have seen techs make mistakes ( my self included ) and not see a very thin line of oil running down from something above and traveling across the seam where the two haves meet.
X2. Been there, done that before.

Quick Reply: Another oil leak thread....