Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Anyone have the radio with the MP3/USB port option....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Anyone have the radio with the MP3/USB port option....

I have one. Uusually I burn MP3 cd'd as I can fit like 7 full albums on one disc.......but since mine has the USB port, I decided to buy a flashdrive and fill it with songs. Sooooooo, I did that and the morning I put it in,it played fine until after work when I got back in,it worked and then stopped mid song. I clicked the AUX button to get it going again and it kept saying
"NO USB OR AUX DEVICE". If I turn the car off or wait until the next day,it will work again......but same thing happens. The flash drive works in my 3 other home PC's and my work PC. I'm thinking it may be a radio issue. I picked up my car in March and the radio stopped working the night I took it home, with 7 miles on it. They replaced the radio already for a different reason. Anyone have any issues with this option?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Cool The only issue that I have,

is that I can't scroll through my play-lists. I mean, if I try, the songs just skip though until I stop searching and then it starts playing where I stop.
Now, in my other car, a Kia Soul, I can scroll through with no problems and a couple seconds after I stop searching the display goes back to what is playing and there is no interruption.
With both cars though, during the first week, I had the issue with the device is empty message, but, it hasn't happened again since. I do keep the flash drive plugged in so that when I get into the car the songs pick up where they left off.
I love that my CD's are now 12 hours long. And I only use a 2 GB flash drive so they hold 36 hours of music. That is with the bit rate set to 128 bps.
I have heard that people who download their music from the internet have problems like you have mentioned, something about how they have ID tags or something of the sort. I have a humongous CD collection. I have used MP3 and WMA file formats in both my cars with no problems.
Hope this little tidbit helps.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
I have heard that people who download their music from the internet have problems like you have mentioned, something about how they have ID tags or something of the sort.
I don't have the usb port, just the AUX in on the head uit but mine will do something similar. On some songs, it will go silent in the middle of the track and I will have to pause the song, then start playing it again. It doesnt do it to every song, just a certain few and it only does it to those songs randomly... Maybe my car just doesnt like those songs

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 07-14-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 AM

There is a systemic problem with Ipod "Touch" players. I get a clicking sound when I attach via the USB cable, and the system shuts down once in a while. Also, I don't think enough data is displayed on the radio screen.

The radio is made by Panasonic, and GM is working with them to try to come up with a fix for this.

'Til then, I'll just use the auxiliary cable and 12v power cord. It's a birdsnest, but the tunes come out just fine.

Much better than an 8-track player, regardless.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM

It's not from downloaded music. Even if I burn an MP3 disc with lots of music on it,it works with no problems. I'm thinking it has something to do with inside the radio and not reading a USB device properly. I had problems with the radio the first day I took the car home......the radio would not power on, it would just light up. They replaced the radio and 3 weeks later a service bulletin came out about it. Go figure......
Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM

minor problems with mine but i use an ipod instead of thumb drive it works great. The cable itself can be picky but after reading this maybe its the usb port. But i do know thumb drives do not like being unplugged without some kind of eject option maybe your drive has errors on it from being powered on and off with no true eject.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 AM

Great. Anyone know about the iPhone? I can use the ipod section of it with no problem when I hook it up via a 3.5mm cable, but I'm unsure of all the options available with the SS USB/AUX ports. Will it charge my phone if I plug it in the USB port? Or is it only an input port, not a 12v charge port?

I have a 2009 LS but added a SS Radio as an upgrade.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 AM

yes it also charges ipod while it plays so should be same for iphone through the usb
Old 10-24-2009, 11:23 PM

GMDEALERGUY, I am new to this sort of thing, but where do you get the service bulletins. My radio, when I turn on the car, at times will not work til I hit a button. Doesn't matter if I am listening to the radio or my mp3 player. This is my first new car and it seems there are a few electrical problems. I wouldn't trade my HHR for anything but it takes the romance out of it.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by fanatic424
My radio, when I turn on the car, at times will not work til I hit a button. Doesn't matter if I am listening to the radio or my mp3 player. .

I dont really understand this. Please explain in detail.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the radio with the MP3/USB port option....