Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Automatic transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM

I pulled the pan today, waiting for the mechanic to come by and take a look. The pan, fluid, filter and magnet were unbelievably clean. There wasn't any sign of any damage at all. I pulled the 4 transfer lines and checked them for any debris in the tubes. Clean as a whistle. I can't help but believe it is the TCM. Now, can someone tell me where it is on the vehicle? I will pay the 70 bucks and then some if it can get here soon. Let me know.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 PM

The TCM is right in front of your under hood fuse box. Pull that cover, and you will see a thing less than half an inch thick that looks like it is metal and has a big plugin going into it. It is about 3 inches wide and maybe 4 long. PM me and I'll give you my paypal, and I can priority ship it tomorrow with tracking info.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 AM

I have a shop looking at it in the morning. I will let you know if I need that TCM or not. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 AM

I probably should start a thread on this subject alone. Today was an amazing day working on the HHR. My mechanic found the problem with the transmission and it was beyond simple.

As I mentioned before, one mechanic said that one of the tubes might be cracked in the transmission. He was right.

There are 4 high pressure tubes above the filter in the transmission. I cleaned them well, but never inspected them. Sure enough, my mechanic immediately pulled on one and it was broken at the weld to the flange. I picked one up at the dealership for $50, installed it and it's working better than ever. In fact, there probably was a hairline crack keeping the pressure down until it finally broke.

I am ecstatic and elated that I only had to spend $50 plus filter and fluids and now she's driving better than ever.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Deceased

Good news is always nice! Glad to hear things turned out well.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Now that is awesome man!!! Great to hear a good resolution on that.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear it wasn't too costly. And a to your mechanic.
Did you happen to get any pictures?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Wow... I think I would be EXTRA nice to your mechanic this Christmas, if I were you.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Yes I am taking good care of that mechanic. I have already referred him to my friends who frequently ask me for mechanics. I also had him change the rear tranny mount so he could make some extra money while he was out.

I can take pics of the tube and where it broke. I think I should post this on another thread to alert other owners about this problem and how they can avoid being raked over the coals by unethical tranny shops, which I know there are a lot of.

I was honestly looking at paying between $1,500-$2,000 for this repair, which I don't have. Paying $50 plus fluid and filter is so much better.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM

I'm trying to post pics and can't figure out how. Anyone know how this can be done easily?

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission issue