Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

bad fobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:33 PM

Lightbulb bad fobs

any one have key fob problems?:
Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM

I haven't but a lot of guys have. What kind of problems?

Also do a forum search and use the word "keyfob" The search engine doesn't allow 3 letter words...... You will find a lot of posts and probably some that match your issues.....

And.... Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Yes, the fobs suck.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Mine have always worked.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM

One of mine doesn't work and the other one is on the fritz. It is intermittent. One night it would not work and had to lock my doors with the button on the door. Its a bit annoying.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 PM

@hhrfreek, I completely understand how annoying it is to have the key fob out… LOL. This is has just made me realize how attached I am to my key fob.

What have you tried with your key fobs, anything? I am just curious.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

My car came with 1 and two keys. I now have 5 of them but the original still working fine. You guy's made me paranoid I bought all i could get thinking they fall apart. And I paid the dealer for one in the past, don't do it.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:24 PM

This is very common to all GM FOBs. Very simple solution if you know how to use a soldering iron. Typically if you pull the FOB apart, you will notice that the little metal clip that holds the battery to the PCB is either broken off, or has cracked solder joints where it goes through the board. Simply fire up the old soldering iron, apply pressure to the battery clip so it is fully seated in the board, and put the soldering iron against the back side of the key fob board where the metal prongs stick through. This will re-heat the solder and re-attach the prongs. You can also add a little solder of your own for a firmer fix. Then when you put the FOB back together, put a small piece of thin foam rubber or like material into the back side of the fob casing. This creates downward pressure on the battery/battery holder and should prevent it from cracking loose if the keys are dropped. I've fixed tons of these for friends/family, its always the same.

I use a cheapy harbor freight pen stye soldering iron, it was like 5 bucks, and a small tube of solder for these types of repairs. The toughest part is not burning yourself while you hold it together, but placing it on a bench or table and pushing down from the back works easy while you put the hot soldering iron on the board. Make sure not to hold it there too long or you risk burning the board. If the iron is hot, it only takes a second or two to re-heat the existing solder or add your own additional.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM

electrical contacts

WHEW!!!! My keyfob was working intermittently and I wasn't sure why. I now figured it out. When I replaced the battery, I disrupted the connection on one side where the battery bracket is in contact with the PCB. I went to the http://www.keylessfix.com/keylessfixcom/techsupport.htm site and went through their troubleshooting. That's when they said to make sure that ALL THREE contact locations were intact. Mine was pushed up on one side. I pushed it back down, and ALL FIXED!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Fixed both of mine as coolzzy describes less the rubber/foam piece although that's a good idea. No issues since.

Quick Reply: bad fobs