Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Bad vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Bad vibrations

So, I take my 2006 HHR LS to the dealership, because I have been experiencing some bad vibrations and I had a check engine light. Cost me $50 to find out that the vibration is due to a loose wheel hub and it will cost $750 to replace both wheel hubs. The check engine light is due to a bad gas cap and a purge valve which will cost $325 to replace.

I have already purchased the front wheel hubs to replace myself. I think I can handle changing the gas cap. My questions is where is the purge valve? and how hard would it be to replace? I think that the wheel hubs should be easy enough.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Well I replaced the wheel hubs and that fixed the problem. It was not hard to replace the hubs at all. It was comparable to changing brake pads and rotors. My HHR has about 115,000 miles on it.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by thedonn007
Well I replaced the wheel hubs and that fixed the problem. It was not hard to replace the hubs at all. It was comparable to changing brake pads and rotors. My HHR has about 115,000 miles on it.
Thanks for stating the mileage on your HHR. It really puts things into perspective.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

^ x2 ^
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by thedonn007
So, I take my 2006 HHR LS to the dealership, because I have been experiencing some bad vibrations and I had a check engine light. Cost me $50 to find out that the vibration is due to a loose wheel hub and it will cost $750 to replace both wheel hubs. The check engine light is due to a bad gas cap and a purge valve which will cost $325 to replace.

I have already purchased the front wheel hubs to replace myself. I think I can handle changing the gas cap. My questions is where is the purge valve? and how hard would it be to replace? I think that the wheel hubs should be easy enough.
I'm unsure of the purge valve location, but before I replaced it, I would go ahead and replace the cap first. The purge valve operates in conjuction with the vacuum within a closed fuel system. The bad cap (much cheaper than the valve) may restore the conditions under which the valve was designed to work. I'm unsure if the check engine light will reset itself or if you'd need to have a dealer do this.

Getting multiple codes within a diagnostic circuit is a common "error" by technicians. The are usually working based on computer codes alone occasionally without regard to the interaction of some of the components. A code means that a "signal" is missing on the computer input, the parts connected to the codes must be tested.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 PM

The check engine light is due to a bad gas cap and a purge valve which will cost $325 to replace.
My hhr did the same thing...A new gas cap and a "few days"... the light go's off... didn't do a thing to the purge valve
Old 12-14-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman
My hhr did the same thing...A new gas cap and a "few days"... the light go's off... didn't do a thing to the purge valve
Thanks, I replaced the fuel cap a couple of days ago and was wondering how to reset the check engine light. I will wait a couple of more days and see if the check engine light turns itself off.

If not is there a way to reset the check engine light or do I have to take it somewhere to have the light reset?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Some of the code readers you can buy have a reset function.
Also, some parts stores have readers and will pull your codes for free (they may reset as well-I'm not sure). Try Autozone or Pepboys...
Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM

weard rattle from front end

I'm bringing my car in tomorow for a rattle in the front end every time I go over bumps in the road (even cracks in the pavement)!!

My question is:

Is this a known problem for HHR's? I only have 88,200 miles on it!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by retrofan
I'm bringing my car in tomorow for a rattle in the front end every time I go over bumps in the road (even cracks in the pavement)!!

My question is:

Is this a known problem for HHR's? I only have 88,200 miles on it!
hopefully it's stabilizer links. They're not too expensive and a common problem. Otherwise it's likely the steering column ($$$). Both have been posted about quite a few times on here.

Quick Reply: Bad vibrations