Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery died and took the power steering with it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:04 PM

Question Battery died and took the power steering with it!

Hi Everybody! This isn't what I wanted my first post to be, but.....

I left my radio on for an extended period while working outside, and after I heard the tunes cutting in and out I knew I killed the battery.

DING DONG!

So I jumped it and thought nothing else about it. 'TILL I went to drive away and had no power steering! I checked the fuse for the electric steering and it wasn't blown, at that time I properly seated the rest of the fuses.

I'm sure someone has an opinion about my "bone-headed" problem before I exercise my first warranty claim.

Love the site and my traffic light prism....
Thanks,

Colin
Old 02-10-2009 | 09:08 PM

Well anyhow.... Welcome to the forum...
Old 02-10-2009 | 09:19 PM

book jump

welcome .. are you sure that you jumped it by the book? seems that have heard some damage by improper jumping. sorry about your problem . thanks for the post , hopefully it will help remind me to be careful with my battery.
Old 02-10-2009 | 09:21 PM

First off, welcome to the group!!

Sorry to hear of your power steering problem, but I hardly think that it was something caused by your running down the battery by the radio use. I have done this several times and never had an issue with the steering...

Hope you can get to the root of the problem soon. I would definitely take it to the dealer.
Old 02-10-2009 | 09:31 PM

Let it recharge the battery a good long time before driving it. Better yet, get a Vector or Black & Decker charger that will desulfate the battery after that severe discharge, and charge it safer than the alternator can. Check the fuse for the PS pump.
Old 02-10-2009 | 09:42 PM
Uma

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
First off, welcome to the group!!

Sorry to hear of your power steering problem, but I hardly think that it was something caused by your running down the battery by the radio use. I have done this several times and never had an issue with the steering...

Hope you can get to the root of the problem soon. I would definitely take it to the dealer.
I have to agree, I have screwed up several times and ran the battery down for different reasons...but after jumped, or charged..always worked great. I would have to say that it is unrelated to the radio thing. Todd (uma)
Old 02-10-2009 | 10:12 PM

See this thread

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...power+steering
Old 02-11-2009 | 06:42 PM

Good call on that dbfruth.
I was just about to explain that it was probably jumped improperly. I just read that thread a few minutes ago. I bet this gets alot of people.
Old 02-11-2009 | 07:25 PM

Thanks guys. I was sure I knew how to jump a battery, but in my haste I guess I'm not completely familiar with my new ride. Live and learn I guess. I glad I didn't hurt anything else like was posted in the "How-To" post. In the passenger side fuse box the steering fuse is only a 2 amp I believe....How much is that is that 60amp one that is mentioned? I mean if it's a less expensive one it might be less hassle to do it myself than taking it in.
Old 02-11-2009 | 10:48 PM

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing!

Quick Reply: Battery died and took the power steering with it!