Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery died and took the power steering with it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:48 AM

:) Thank you !! Lol. Yes I will calm down before posting next time.
Just imagine, if you were the one standing right beside me after all of this. My poor husbands ears. I was rambling blah blah blah's in is ear non stop FOREVER! Thank you for the idea on the codes deal. I was told I didn't blow a fuse, but that was over the phone. So, I will go back to Advanced Auto Parts & give him the scoop & ask have him to help me out again.
Old 03-27-2012 | 12:56 AM
Deceased

OK, here's the "How To" thread on opening the hatch with a dead battery, it isn't easy, but its possible. Give it a read, just click the link below......

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=open+hatch

Its another one of those, "why'd they do that?" issues.

If your power steering has become intermittent, well that's a classic symptom of a failing motor, here's a thread on how to replace it yourself. They aren't that expensive, and the job is not that bad to do.

Just click the link....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/power-steering-motor-replacement-w-pics-31289/

Hope these help, and hopefully your extended warranty will cover the repair if you go that route, dig out the contract and read the fine print. (Gotta say that, its a lawyer thing)
Old 03-27-2012 | 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Oh it's our fault? LOL

Well since you don't care how difficult it is for the forum members to read and decipher your rambling posts, and still expect us to fall all over you to help out............. at least you are calming down now.

http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...h+vinegar.html
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:06 PM

Yay pwr str is back!!

Originally Posted by 843de
OK, here's the "How To" thread on opening the hatch with a dead battery, it isn't easy, but its possible. Give it a read, just click the link below......

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=open+hatch

Its another one of those, "why'd they do that?" issues.

If your power steering has become intermittent, well that's a classic symptom of a failing motor, here's a thread on how to replace it yourself. They aren't that expensive, and the job is not that bad to do.

Just click the link....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31289

Hope these help, and hopefully your extended warranty will cover the repair if you go that route, dig out the contract and read the fine print. (Gotta say that, its a lawyer thing)

Got the #60 fuse (in the first position) for 4 bucks today at Advanced Auto Parts. Yeah, yeah.... I blew it! LOL!
I slipped the new fuse in there & back came my Power Steering! Yay !! I pushed around on the other fuses, & did notice a lot of the fuses were in need of a good push.

The Advanced Auto down from my house does not do the "free" Diagnostics test anymore . I called another store and they said most still do the test, but the one I was at must have had a law suit on them for wiping codes. Guess I will take it on down the road to another AAP store when I have time.

So.... for now I am slightly happy :).
If only I could get my dealership to stop saying, "No Trouble Found".
I really wanna scream at them, "Just fix your ding dang companies mistakes, already jeesh"!

Is it so bad that I just want to get to a point where I'm just dealing with the normal wear & tear of having a used vehick?
Instead I'm stuck dealing with a bunch of faulty manufacturing mistakes, that are being ignored over & over while my miles go up & my warranty runs out.
When they own up & start fixing this stuff (fat chance if they do), then I will be really happy!

I've been talking with a GM rep, as well as a Chevy rep, both contacting their managers about airbag/leather recall & all the other problems I am having.
So, I'm hoping that the GM people will call me back with good news!
They might be considering that my HHR VIN # was left out of the 06' recall it should have been in (the one where the HHR's leather installation messes up the airbag sensor).
I think I should have been warned the day I purchased the car that the leather kit I added into my sub total (through Chevy) can mess up the Airbag sensors & make the on/off button flicker, but I wasn't.

One last bit of news...
In going through the car this past few days, I found a receipt & an insurance paper from the previous owner tucked into a crevis (along with a $5 bill and a cool Nintendo DSi pen).
I've managed to put my investigator skills to work & I tracked the 72 year old man to Florida.
I'm hoping that he can give me some insight as to what his problems with the car were. I know now that it was not a "Fleet" Company used vehicle, as I was told it was.

Thanks for all the help with the fuse info!!!! HELPED ME LOTS! Now I don't have to struggle to steer my HHR.
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:10 PM

Sorry 'bout all that, lol :)
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Oh it's our fault? LOL

Well since you don't care how difficult it is for the forum members to read and decipher your rambling posts, and still expect us to fall all over you to help out............. at least you are calming down now.

http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...h+vinegar.html
Sorry about all that :)
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:21 PM

Wait a minute, you bought a used car with NO CarFax report? Don't do that again. Do not EVER try to get useful info from any corporate 800 number! Their ONLY purpose is to sell something.

All of your problems should be able to be fixed by a competent dealer Service Dept. However, any "qualified" shop can do exactly the same job as a GM shop. My advice, since you seem to not be a mechanically inclined individual is to "seek professional help" not "some guy walking down the street help". Somebody has to pay the mechanic.
Old 03-27-2012 | 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

After reading this RANT, several times (it was necessary), and the responses......I believe I know what your problem is.

You traded for a LEMON. I need to say that, because nobody else will. Good luck, but no matter how much help you get from owner/members here, you will continue to have additional problems. SORRY but that is the impression I get from what you have written.

Old 03-27-2012 | 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

You may well be right Snoopy.

Every vehicle will have its "bugs" and nits for sure, but often it's the owners approach to the dealer etc. that will determine if the issues are addressed properly. Getting to be buddies with the service and parts people can go a long way - asking for help, rather than demanding the problem be fixed often works wonders.

Sometimes though one just has to dump it and move onto another vehicle, if it is just one issue after another. A lot depends on how much one can put up with. :)

(Note: all spelling erros are intententional)
Old 03-27-2012 | 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Wait a minute, you bought a used car with NO CarFax report? Don't do that again. Do not EVER try to get useful info from any corporate 800 number! Their ONLY purpose is to sell something.

All of your problems should be able to be fixed by a competent dealer Service Dept. However, any "qualified" shop can do exactly the same job as a GM shop. My advice, since you seem to not be a mechanically inclined individual is to "seek professional help" not "some guy walking down the street help". Somebody has to pay the mechanic.

I'm not going through a sales department. I am going through the complaints department with the recall people. I have no intention to pay for these problems as my HHR is still under the purchase warranty & my Bumper 2 Bumper warranty. I also wouldn't have to pay for my problems with my HHR because the dealer says they can not find a problem. Which is BS.

Quick Reply: Battery died and took the power steering with it!