Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery issue and secret compartments

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks again, catdaddy137, for your input. As always, you are thinking furiously and have offered up several options. A decent 12v to 110v converter is pretty cheap these days, so I might just put two units in - one in back and one in front. I tried the little 75w cigarette plug-in unit, but it wouldn't stay in the socket, and it also doesn't have enough wattage to drive a laptop computer and recharge the batteries. Originally, I wanted to know what the little do-hickey with the red tab was and if I could just plug into that, but apparently not. Will go the route of adding copper lugs and attach to the battery posts direct. If it gets complicated, I'll do pictures and a 'how-to'.

Also, that 'space' over the hump might be a great place to add a multiple cigarette lighter plug receptacle so that my GPS unit power hookup can be hidden, as well as my iPhone charger.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the fast responses, catdaddy137, those are all good thoughts. I think I'm going to do the following: Install the 12v to 110v converter in the rear compartment and attach directly to battery via lugs. I also think I'll install a 12v cigarette light plug receptacle over the 'hump' area, so that my GPS unit and my iPhone charger can be out of sight.

I never liked to 12v to 110v cigarette lighter plugin converter, because it was too lightweight and it would jar loose. If it gets complicated, I'll take photos and do a 'How to' and post the results.

I still would like a diagram of the factory electrical center for the rear compartment, so I could see have it installs. Anyone have a part number for it?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM

It would be less expensive to mount in the back by the battery.
The 12 volt wire(s) need to be a MUCH heavier gage than the 120 volt wires.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM

diagram

i got a manual on cd from ebay. it seems very complete. it is for 06 . i think many things are exactly the same on different years , but i am not sure about the wiring. i don't know how to get it from cd to this site. they ship pretty fast if you can wait or want 1. i made an offer and they accepted. your local dealer may make you a copy of that diagram , if no one on here doesn't post it...it may already be posted here.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM

What is this?

UncleDannie,

See my post #2.

The RED thing is a fuse that powers the BCM. The BCM is the Body Control Module - it is located on the front passenger hump area, the thing with the fuses in it, but is much more than a fuse box.

The Bolt is the battery ground.

The Black Plastic thing that surrounds the battery ground cable is a current sensor.

You say you want a Rear Power wiring diagram - the FSM(I have a 2009) does not separate it out by location, but function.

Last edited by Sno White; 04-29-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks, Sno White, I appreciate it. Yes, I understood (kinda) your original post, but another member said something about hooking up a 40amp electrical distribution unit (a factory unit) and 'implied' that it hooked there, so hence, the confusion on my part. Although to be honest, at my age, it's not hard to get confused.

catdaddy137, I may need your help, but I'll PM you if I do.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Sounds like you and I are getting along in years.

I believe that 40 Amp thing Catdaddy mentioned is an auxiliary power plug that is an OEM option. I have never seen one, but imagine it is just another cigarette lighter type adapter that is in the rear for plugging in other power hungry devices such as a refrigerator.

If you would like to try removing the 50 Amp fuse from the RED connector in the Spare Tire compartment you will find the LARGE red with black tracer wire feeding the large red connector on the BCM is dead. That is all it does. If you get a hold of a 2009 FSM it is on page 11-7.

It is very easy to get confused on Forums such as this.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 PM

If you are using a 350W 12V to 120V inverter (that's what they're called), you would need to use #8AWG wire and a 40A fuse. Be sure to ventilate the inverter, because at high loads, a good amount of heat will be produced. If you are coming off of the battery lugs, keep the fuse as close as possible to the source (+ batt term).