Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Line of BS from your dealer. We went through 2 weeks of -20 to -25 here and I did not see any problem with mine..
Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 PM

A little background to my ongoing battery problem. The first time my battery died was on Christmas. The prior evening, I noticed that the OnStar light was red, and not the usual green. According to the OnStar people, this indicates a problem. Tonight, I went to use my car and the battery was dead. (I used it all day yesterday without any problems, and according to my tester, it was fully charged last night). After charging the battery for about 10 minutes, it fired right up-but the OnStar light was red again.

[IMG][/IMG]

I called them from the car, and they said everything checked out OK. It could be reading an electrical problem, or it could be transmitting and killing the battery itself. I have been sick with the flu last night and all day, so I could not bring the car in yet. SO now I still dont know if it is a bad cell in the battery or a problem with OnStar. But checking an intermittant problem is always tough. How could they tell if OnStar keeps switching on and draining the battery? Unless there is a record of calls made?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Since the battery behaves one day, then not the next, I'd suspect you have an intermittent draw on the system, someplace. If the battery were bad, it would be bad all the time.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM

I took the car back to the dealer yesterday, and they checked the battery again and it tested ok. Next they did their own leakage test and found 2600 mA (I guess I am not good with that scale on my multimeter). They traced a large drain to the BCM circuit. So, now they want to give me a loaner car and check everything that fuse covers, including door locks, grounds, etc.

I am a little nervous because while a was able to pull the 4 fuses that cover everything that I installed (horn, GPS, map light, stereo, etc) I still have one item connected to the radio harness-the Metra adapter. If that is the cause of my problems, and the dealer picks up on it, I will be resonsible for all of the labor and repair charges. So I have to remove it first before bringing the car back
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
jx3

Gonna drag my story over to this thread from battery size.......

Back ground info on problem with mine.........

Currently 22 months owned, and 23K miles driven, no aftermarket electical add ons........

All was great until returning home from 2 week vacation. Not to surprised to find the battery dead. Got it jumped started at the battery itself, not by hooking up to underhood posts. Did a couple errands all around town, not turning the ignition off for several hours to recharge the battery. All was great again ------ for about 3 weeks. Yesterday, I had to jump start Dory again, ran about 20 miles down the highway on errand, turned the car off, and about 45 minutes later, no problems again. Then this morning, tried to take Dory out to pick up breakfast, you guessed it, needs to be jumped again. I'm really tired of driving my wife's tank, and hopefully I can get this prob resolved soon!!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
jx3

Got fed up of having to jump start Dory every morning so I got up the courage to take her to a dealer. Explained to the SM what is posted above and got a replacement battery under warranty. Hopefully Dory will be all set for at least another 2 years Only took an hour and a half--was put in line behind 4 vehicles for oil changes.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 PM

We like happy endings

Goose
Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM

How about an update since your battery problem. Did the new battery solve the problem? There is another similar discussion on batteries here on HHR network where someone is trying to find an Optima that will fit. Checking the GM parts online, there are a bunch of vehicles using this 90-6YR battery. You would think someone would make one besides Delco. I called Optima, and they don't have one, and no plans to make one.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Plz don't be mean.. I have a dumb question. Where is the battery in that small compartment? I also can't check my oil. Can't find the dipstick. Did I mention i'm a girl? :) I have the want to learn.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 PM

It is in the rear not the front of the car (battery)

Pop the hood, stand in the middle and look straight down behind the radiator. See that thingy with the yellow handle? That is your dipstick

Goose

Quick Reply: Battery woes