Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Bent rim fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Bent rim fix

I just put new Yokohama tires on my 2007 Limited Edition with 17'' black chrome rims. The technician discovered two rims are bent on the inside near the bead. I had him install them on the back, but he says they'll probably be a problem on the front when it's time to rotate. He's trying to sell me aftermarket wheels. My first thought is that the wheels can be straightened just like a steel wheel. Anyone have any experience with repairing these wheels? I'd like to keep the original look. Thanks.

Lew
Old 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Founding Member

Check your local body shops or dealership and see who they use to repair them. The ones we use charge $100 per wheel. Did you see the damage?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM

DO NOT try to straighten cast aluminum wheels. There are many companies out there that claim they can do this but dont tell you that the structural integrity of the alloy will NEVER be as strong. I personally have seen catostrophic failure from cast wheels straightend by one of these companies.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM

you could try

to fix it your self , if it is not too bad. i have straitened a few steel ones , i used to be a tire changer. i cannot remember i we ever straitened any aluminum. it can be done if it is not too bad. to be safe the tire should be taken off to see if the wheel is cracked on the inside. i guess if it's cracked it could be mig welded. if it looks minor-bent less than 3/4 in , you can just beat it with the rigth amount of hammer , probably a 5 or 10 pound, with a piece of wood in between. it still should be at least check by eye-on the inside of the rim also for cracks. i mean 3/4 inch in not long, it doesn't really matter how long the dent is. this is just my opinion. i do have alot of experience working with most all types of metal. if you can find a big and strong enough clamp you could also try that. i am just the type that tries to fix everything myself and i usually do. i know this is not for everyone. good luck.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM

uhto

you may want to listen to tireman. i am not dissagreeing with him. i am just saying what i would do, but , i am kinda crazy.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:52 PM

but i will say this

i believe if it is not cracked it is ok. a cast wheel will crack. an extruded wheel tends to bend alot before it will crack. it's what they make pistons out of. have you ever tried to break a piston? i have , and it was not easy, and i'm very good a tearing things up since i been selling scrap metal full time for a few years. i will also say again that this is what i would do after i make the call as to weather or not it is safe , by me looking at it. if you pay someone to do it then they are liable. the more i think about it, i don't think i would like to be in a vehicle behind you with a cracked wheel flying apart.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 PM

A lot of the major tire stores around here do rim repair [central fl.] But like everything, how good a job they do is by the person that is doing the job.
Is it a steel or aluminum , Forged or cast wheel how bent it is ect.ect.
How bad is the Wheel ? Just a little on the lip or is it bent to the point to where the tire seals to the rim ? Did you see the wheels & did the tire shop do it. I had to buy a wheel once that I bent trying to break the bead on. Not looking and when I stepped on the peddle the arm came up and hit the rim.
$275 out of my pay. I stepped up and said I did it..
Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Just dont do it!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 PM

I have 2 bent rims on Premier Edition HHR. I'm thinking about getting some aftermarket wheels from Mooneyes.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by tireman1554
DO NOT try to straighten cast aluminum wheels. There are many companies out there that claim they can do this but dont tell you that the structural integrity of the alloy will NEVER be as strong. I personally have seen catostrophic failure from cast wheels straightend by one of these companies.
Yup, I seen a vette break a rim and go into the curb and the rim almost exploded... Alot of damage can occur and a lifethreating accident as well.

Quick Reply: Bent rim fix