Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Black stuff in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Black stuff in gas tank

i am having an issue with stalling it happens when my wife fills the car. After a lot of playing with it and looking for codes none. I pulled the gas tank to replace the fuel pump and the tank is full of carbon pellets. my best guess would be from the evap canister but how and why would it be in there.

any ideas on the fix and the cause? i cant afford to spend another 200 bucks on another fuel pump.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM

What year and model is your HHR?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

his profile says 2006 2.2L
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 PM

yes 2006 2.2. I found the issue my evap canister was leaking the carbon pellets out i guess there should be a screen or some other kind of mechanical device to hold the pellets in there that is MIA. The fuel pump screen is full of them and the check valve on the pump assembly is full of them also.

I am going to the dealer to get it since the big names don't carry it. I did find it on gmpartsonline.net. there it said msrp $187.10 and $103.84 online i called one of my local dealerships. they were gonna give me a deal of $170 something when i told them the price online they said they would price match it and no delivery charge.

I never thought the dealer would do it but for a part that costs more even on rockauto I am very pleased with them. I prefer to get dealer parts just they are usually too cost prohibitive.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 PM

I am thinking over filling the tank causing an overflow to the canister. I don't know which kind of gas pump vapor recovery system in your area. Stop trying to get the last drop in!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 PM

Thanks but i never over fill my tank and the carbon in the evap canister was bone dry as it should be. Overfilling would also not cause the carbon to come out of both ports just by tipping it over it is definitely missing the peace that retains the carbon in the canister. It could have been this way since i bought it and it just took 2 1/2 years to shake enough of the carbon out of the canister into the gas tank the pump still was running strong. It was getting jammed when filled but after sitting in the drive it would remedy itself till it got filled or any gas was added and stirred enough of the pellets up to jam whatever part of the pump it was jamming.

there is a check valve on the pump to stop the gas from entering the evap so you would need to fill it from the vent and I am unsure how you would even go about that unless you pore the gan in the vent tube

The car was in a wreck before I bought it so that could have caused this issue or the care of the previous owner. I know it was wrecked due to whoever repaired it put the track for the driver side rear window in backwards so the window would only roll down part way and the paint on that door is peeling at the top edge missed that one when i bought it