Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

blind spot

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM

blind spot

Just bought a 2011 HHR I should of drove it more before I bought it. The rear veiw mirror is such a huge blind spot I have to duck down to see to the right. I was just wondering if anyone thinks this is a safety problem
Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

You can adjust the arm part of the mirror upwards. It's a little stiff when new but will adjust up. Then readjust mirror. Had to do mine before leaving the dealer's lot. Couldn't see around it either.
P.S. Welcome!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Yup-did mine too. I feel the way you have to pay more attention to driving with the HHR it make you a safer driver and more aware of whats going on around you. Just no cell phones while driving...

Welcome & enjoy the ride!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM

I'm 5'7" so it wasn't a big deal, but the mirror can be adjusted up, as fireman said, until it's rubbing the headliner and then set so you can see out the back. That should get it out of the way for most people.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM

After a couple days the HHR feels fine.

Once you get the mirrors adjusted and learn to use them properly. Then get used to where the blind spots are the HHR is not a big deal to most drivers.

Anyone who has drive larger trucks or vans know that the HHR blind spots are not an issue.

I never had an issue with the Rear View mirror. I guess I just had mine push up to start with.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Rest In Peace

Oh YESSSS you better take it back ASAP!

And YESSSS you Should have , BEFORE you bought it.

Youd have a Massive Coronary had you bought a Panel, before Test driving it ! LOL

As said Adjust the mirror and hey if you bought a LT check to see if the power seat Adjustments work.

I LOVE my HHR 2LT Panel quarks and all. Even the blind spots I am used too and comfortable with and it didn't take long.

Don't people do any Research and a few test drives anymore Before buying a new car?

And if not why not?

I only drove mine a short distance and knew Exactly what I was buying and getting myself into, Before I bought it.

I did alot of Research Before I ever walked into a dealer, then all I had to do was test drive it, and see how I liked it, while sitting behind the wheel driving it on the road. I Liked it, I Bought it.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY I am.

Seems pretty silly to me to figure out After you buy a car, it Don't fit YOU. No?

Nice intro.

Welcome.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by tkfel98
Just bought a 2011 HHR I should of drove it more before I bought it. The rear veiw mirror is such a huge blind spot I have to duck down to see to the right. I was just wondering if anyone thinks this is a safety problem
I agree that it is too large, takes up too much view of vital cross traffic and doesn't adjust high enough to get out of the way (or the seat go low enough to help) I'd really love to take it off and replace it with something sleek and smaller but there goes the OnStar that I've never used and any sense of direction along with the map lights.
Just another idiot engineer that had the everyday user in mind...

Jim
Old 12-22-2010, 04:10 PM

It was not an idiot design. At time styling will cause other side effects.

The fact the HHR has a low roof created issues for some taller people not only in head room but in sight lines. Like the Camaro some styling results in some issues for some but not all people.

If they had rasied the roof the HHR would look a little odd. Also if the mirror was smaller some would complain it is too small and still in the way.

Fact is you can't make everyone happy and all they can do is what they think will sell the most.

Based on the production numbers I think they chose the best route. It the mirror or anything else is that much of an issue then you should have bought something elese. All of these things were in the vehicle when you buy it and have not changed. This is where you really need to check out what you buy before paying $15k- 20K for a vehicle.

Most dealers will let you have a vehicle for several hours or in some cases over night. You can even rent one to make sure it is what you want. If someone does not take the time to check a car out then they should have no complaints.

Not getting on anyone here but often buyers are very unprepared when purchasing a vehicle and not only pay the price in too many dollars but often find issues they don't like. To spend that much money and not really know the vehicle is not a good move.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 PM

I have my mirror up where it almost touches the headliner. I did that on the test drive before I bought it. Do the newer ones use a different mirror?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Don06
I have my mirror up where it almost touches the headliner. I did that on the test drive before I bought it. Do the newer ones use a different mirror?
Mine has On Star, Compass, and is Auto Dimming.

I am 5' 8" taller in the body with short legs and I don't have a problem with the rear view mirror.

Heck the pillars are Huge, between the windsheild pillar and the door window frame combined creates a big blind spot, but it was Not an issue enough to me to not buy my Panel. If it was, I would have bought something else or kept my Astro Van.

First week or so took getting used to driving it after driving Windowed Chevy Astro van the last 15 or so years.

I feel fine driving the HHR Panel now and the Added Pioneer rear view Camera is nice for backing it up when needed.

Quick Reply: blind spot