Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brake fluid issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Brake fluid issue?

Hey Y'all,

This week I posted a thread about a potential exhaust smell in my vehicle when I had the HVAC set to draw outside air in. Today I took my vehicle to the car wash to get it cleaned up. Every now and then I spray down the engine bay as well to wash off any dust or dirty or whatever.

I opened the hood and I found something very interesting. It may be related to what I smelt earlier this week/last weekend.

On the back of the hood on the drivers side (just ahead of where the cabin air intake is) I noticed a large splattering of brown gunk, later determined it was fluid. This splattering was right above the brake fluid reservoir (specifically above the cap.) The fluid rinsed right off and I was able to wipe off the fluid that was on the reservoir itself and surrounding area.

I now believe that the smell I noticed might not have been exhaust but might have been heated/burnt brake fluid.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to why the brake fluid might have "exploded" from under the cap (or from the reservoir?) I didn't notice any problems with the brakes and no warning lights came on. The brake fluid level seems fine. What should I keep an eye on? Obvisouly I'm going to check under the hood after my next few drives to see if I notice any fluid anywhere.

If anyone has any advice to helpful comments it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks