Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brake solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM

I plan on keeping the stock rotors but will go to the EBC ceramic pads. THese are a low dust and high quality ceramic.

Do use caution with some pads. Try to stay with a well know brand as some off brands can call their pads ceramic or kevlar but not use a good material or use a lot of fillers.

Case in point EBC was the only one using kevlar direct form Dupont. Anyone else who claims Kevlar is getting from where? How pure and what quality is it if it is not driect from the company that makes it.

Kevlar pads are just an example as they are really over kill for a daily driver but the same principal with ceramics apply in watch the quality of material you buy.

The factory pads are fine but I will pass just because of the dust. The factory rotors are as good as anything else you will buy and I don't need any holes, dimples or slots for decoration.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I plan on keeping the stock rotors but will go to the EBC ceramic pads. THese are a low dust and high quality ceramic.

Do use caution with some pads. Try to stay with a well know brand as some off brands can call their pads ceramic or kevlar but not use a good material or use a lot of fillers.

Case in point EBC was the only one using kevlar direct form Dupont. Anyone else who claims Kevlar is getting from where? How pure and what quality is it if it is not driect from the company that makes it.

Kevlar pads are just an example as they are really over kill for a daily driver but the same principal with ceramics apply in watch the quality of material you buy.

The factory pads are fine but I will pass just because of the dust. The factory rotors are as good as anything else you will buy and I don't need any holes, dimples or slots for decoration.
If they claim Kevlar, Dupont would sue for copyright infringement if not the real thing? oo a new dancing fruit/vegetable!
Don
Old 08-31-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If they claim Kevlar, Dupont would sue for copyright infringement if not the real thing? oo a new dancing fruit/vegetable!
Don
FYI They have and they did. That is why so few use the term anymore. It is something EBC likes to point out that they are one that can still use the term.

Stop being so fruity!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for all the informative replies.

Since I removed my back drums for brake inspection/cleaning & painting.
Found also they were far off adjustment. So now with all 4 working as GM intended, the front brake dust is minimal. Guess I was trying to convince myself into an up-grade..

Getting ready to service/paint the fronts (no problems with them working), just got thinking about up-grading..
It all depends on how much pad is left on the inners. If they have less than 4mm, I will be up-grading.... & looks like Ceramic 'may' the way to go.. Time will tell..

Hyperv6-
I have read stuff about EBC, & it wasn't flattering.. But I have no personal experience with that brand.

Last edited by sleeper; 09-01-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Thanks everyone for all the informative replies.

Since I removed my back drums for brake inspection/cleaning & painting.
Found also they were far off adjustment. So now with all 4 working as GM intended, the front brake dust is minimal. Guess I was trying to convince myself into an up-grade..

Getting ready to service/paint the fronts (no problems with them working), just got thinking about up-grading..
It all depends on how much pad is left on the inners. If they have less than 4mm, I will be up-grading.... & looks like Ceramic 'may' the way to go.. Time will tell..

Hyperv6-
I have read stuff about EBC, & it wasn't flattering.. But I have no personal experience with that brand.
There is good and bad with all brands. Half the time many who complain created their own issues with incorrect installations or other related problems.

My company sells many different brands and EBC is one of them. I deal with warranty issue and problem parts. I even work in a group that studies high return rates and EBC is one of the lowest.

I had brake issues on two of my cars. I change to EBC and have never has an issues since.

If you reed the web I can show you good and bad on about anything but from my own use I have never had issue with these pads. Note even at my cost they are not cheap but I will continue to use them.

Most quality brands are good today but most issues come down to propler installation and break in. Miss that and even the best can fail. Too many think just because they can put the pads on think they did it right.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Hyperv6-

I agree with your statements.. & am keeping my stock rotors too..

But will first index them, then check run-out on each. Mine stops smooth anyhow...

But I'll be checking anyway, then if pads have acceptable amount of life left, just cleaning, painting the calipers, then lubing the slides, etc...
Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Im about to do brakes soon, rotors pads and shoes, probably the R1concepts.
I could use a howto post though, I havent done a brake job in about 20 years. Replacing the parts seems simple enough, I dont have abs, but what do you do for maintenance? I have heard there may be issues with uneven pad wear and binding if not done properly.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Im about to do brakes soon, rotors pads and shoes, probably the R1concepts.
I could use a howto post though, I havent done a brake job in about 20 years. Replacing the parts seems simple enough, I dont have abs, but what do you do for maintenance? I have heard there may be issues with uneven pad wear and binding if not done properly.
The fronts are real easy. Just make sure it's all cleaned up and such. The pads fit into keyed slots on the calipers. Hard to mess that up. The rotors just come right off, no bearings to repack. Make sure you have a c-clamp for the caliper to push the piston back in, I used a 4". SOme open the resovoir doing this, some don't. Make sure the fluid is at the full mark when done. Be sure to pump for brakes a few times to initially seat the new pads. Break in the new pads, severl methods here if you search.

I haven't messed with the rear yet. But I think it time to make sure they are adjusted properly (55K miles). Just haven't looked to the adjuster yet. Those that have, where is it on the rear drums?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

solman-

Rear brake adjuster is on top towards REAR of car (see arrow in pic), there is a rubber plug in backing plate to access it (on mine anyhow)... Not exactly easy to get at, but a couple clicks a big difference..
I just removed my drums to clean. inspect & adjust & finally paint them..

prod-

There are a few Brake jobs done in the "How To" section..with good pics as well..
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM

I am looking specifically for what maintenance to do on the front sliders/pins, dont think I saw that in the howto section. Is it recommended to lube them with something, or just make sure they are clean?

Quick Reply: Brake solution?