Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brakes and clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Brakes and clunking noise

Two questions: When, in general, should you have to replace your brakes? I know that it depends on city/hwy driving, but I barely have 22,000 miles (over 2 years ..so less than 1K a month) and my cars is shaking when I brake. Seems like they should last longer.

Also...has anyone had a clanging/clunking sound? I have taken my car in 3 times for this noise (it comes from either the drivers or passengers front side) and I am told that the wheel nuts need to be tightened. Now it is doing it again. Has this been an issue with the HHR?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MrsOak
Two questions: When, in general, should you have to replace your brakes? I know that it depends on city/hwy driving, but I barely have 22,000 miles (over 2 years ..so less than 1K a month) and my cars is shaking when I brake. Seems like they should last longer.

Also...has anyone had a clanging/clunking sound? I have taken my car in 3 times for this noise (it comes from either the drivers or passengers front side) and I am told that the wheel nuts need to be tightened. Now it is doing it again. Has this been an issue with the HHR?
Car shaking when braking: typically it is warped brake rotors - warranty!! See your dealer. A few people have had similar problems so it is not a rare thing to go wrong.

Clanging/clunking sound: often caused by worn sway bar links or sway bar bushings - warranty - take it to the dealer or find another dealer if you are dissatisfied with the current one.

ps: sway bar links are easy easy to replace is one is handy with tools - use the SEARCH facility at the top of the page and look for MOOG, which is the maker of after-market links that a number of people have swapped over to.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input....I am not handy with tools....not at all!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

If it fact, as indicated by your screen name, you are female, don't allow the dealer service writer to give you a bunch of BS. Generally, auto repair shops....dealers included, are notorious for taking advantage of women who know little about mechanical "things" (because you mentioned not be handy with tools, I made an assumption you are not to familiar with auto repairs).

If the service writer proves resistant to your requests, ask to see the SERVICE MANAGER. Explain your situation regarding mileage, etc. Be firm and insistent BUT NOT ABUSIVE.

Your explanation gives reason to believe you, as suggested, have "warped rotors". This is a general term used for a multitude of problems that affect the brakes and cause the symptoms you expressed. Generally, dealers do NOT do repairs for this as a warranty item. BUT, this "problem" has been very prevalent in the HHR's since their introduction in 2006. I'm guessing, but probably 25-30% of owners have had this problem.

Good luck, keep us informed on your outcome.

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-11-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Administrator

warped rotors and sway bar end links, sounds accurate, I have had both replaced at the dealership at 34 months just under the bumper to bumper warrenty 3 years
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Deceased

to the forum MrsOak!

Spot on comments from my fellow forumites, one thing to add is that you make sure the dealer checks and adjusts the rear brakes....in fact "insist" upon it.

HHR rear brakes have gadgets on them called "Self Adjusters" that in theory keep the rear brakes properly adjusted so they do their fair share of the braking. But the Self Adjusters rarely work well, so a good number of us make it a point to adjust the rear brakes at every oil change or tire rotation, or have them adjusted.

If the rears aren't contributing enough braking effort when you stop, the front brakes can easily get overheated and warp causing a judder.

As for your clunking noise, as stated before, the sway bar end links are always the first suspect, then the sway bar bushings. Insist that the dealer checks the front suspension components, the "HHR Clunk" is pretty easy to fix once you know the culprit.