Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Breaking News! One of my HHR's actually broke.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Mike- at least it was something minor, & wouldn't stop the machine.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by 843de
Me bash? Never!

Even when I had a catastrophic engine failure in a Cessna 172, which caused me to land in a soybean field(much to the surprise of the farmer and his family), the strongest word I used was "Crap".

If something breaks, you figure out what it is and fix it, or you have it fixed.

But to keep from breaking the rules, here I go...

My HHR was a doody poo poo head, it broke and made me cry, the coffee at the dealership was too tasty and the courtesy car was too nice.

Sorry A&P, I'll just take a failing grade in Bashing 101.

I knew youd Fail.

But it seems pretty common for someone to come on here bashing the HHR because somethings amiss with it, instead of just getting it Fixed Correctly and moving on to Enjoying their car, no matter what car they have.

I have had to fix many a car over the years, I always considered it just part of owning them. Mechanical things Break.

If I liked the car I kept fixing and driving it as it aged, if not, fixed current problem and sold it to buy something else.

Hope I get 250,000 plus miles like recently reported out of my HHR Panel, I Like it that much and want to Keep it as long as I can.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Deceased

Just a minor inconvenience sleeper, I could have chosen to live with it for a while, but I like everything to work as it should.

Mynatt's knocked the ball out of the park as usual, just thought a tale of excellent dealer treatment would be nice, and as you've seen, I can't "Bash" to save my life.

My Grandpa Joe always told me, that "if its there, it had better work, or why have it on the car at all?".
Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

I agree like what if your fan died and the dealer said it was ok ?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Deceased

In that case Sam, I'd be a bit miffed at the dealer, which tells me you're still Bus-less at this point and growing more annoyed by the minute.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

No, just saying that even super dealers, will stick it to you if you are ignorant.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Deceased

Honest dealers won't, but sometimes finding an honest dealer is a real trick.

I'll get on my soapbox here for a second....

I think that any HHR owner, should seriously consider a scan tool and a set of service manuals(on DVD or printed)as their first big expenditures. And being that a decent entry level scan tool and a set of manuals on DVD can be obtained for less than the price of a set of LED tailights(if you shop around)....its not a huge financial hit.

New wheels, stubby antennas, DEPO lights, ICPW taillights, and all the other goodies are nice. And there's no reason for folks not to buy them.

But if you have the tools and information you need to diagnose and understand a problem yourself, you are that much more prepared to handle your own repairs, or calibrate your BS detector when a shifty dealer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM

Isn't that the truth Mike! Investing in a BS detector / scan tool can pay for itself in one visit .....
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by 843de
Honest dealers won't, but sometimes finding an honest dealer is a real trick.

I'll get on my soapbox here for a second....

I think that any HHR owner, should seriously consider a scan tool and a set of service manuals(on DVD or printed)as their first big expenditures. And being that a decent entry level scan tool and a set of manuals on DVD can be obtained for less than the price of a set of LED tailights(if you shop around)....its not a huge financial hit.

New wheels, stubby antennas, DEPO lights, ICPW taillights, and all the other goodies are nice. And there's no reason for folks not to buy them.

But if you have the tools and information you need to diagnose and understand a problem yourself, you are that much more prepared to handle your own repairs, or calibrate your BS detector when a shifty dealer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Good Advice for any car owner.

Got the electronic set myself, still looking for a Used 3 book hard copy.

As far as the scanner goes, just not sure which one to get yet. Still under warranty here, so I still got time to seek out a scanner, want a better than entry level one so it can diagnose more stuff.

Every car I ever owned I bought a Chiltons Haynes or whomevers service manual, the HHR's arent covered by them so they are costly to get a 3 book set.

Eventually I will fork out the cash for a new set if a used one isnt found when I need it.

And as you said, dealers are Not created Equal, find a Better one if your not happy with the service department.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT
Isn't that the truth Mike! Investing in a BS detector / scan tool can pay for itself in one visit .....
Exactly! And all the diagnostic work took me five minutes, most of that was finding the appropriate section in the service manual, and remembering where my reading glasses were.

Quick Reply: Breaking News! One of my HHR's actually broke.