Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Burning MP3 cds for 07 LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 AM

Burning MP3 cds for 07 LS

Ok I feel stupid asking this since I do work a lot in car audio but I bought a new 07 LS less than a week ago and wanted to keep the factory deck in it but....

I'm having trouble making any MP3 cds work in it... I can burn them with windows media which makes them .cda files and they play fine but you can only fit like 20 on a cd where you can fit like 100 mp3s in folders on a reg cd-r.

The owners manual says it supports mp3 files AND folders so I should be fine but when I put the disk in it just says error and ejects it...

I'm positive I have the MP3 deck in it (not the pioneer one) since I think the standard one that doesnt play them doesnt have the AUX input on the front right?

I really need some help with this since I am about ready to rip that stock cd player out of there for a double din Alpine deck or something...

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eldon
I'm positive I have the MP3 deck in it (not the pioneer one) since I think the standard one that doesnt play them doesnt have the AUX input on the front right?
Nope. All HHRs have the jack regardless of the level of system. If you can't play MP3 disks and you have an LS I would say you have the lowest level deck that doesn't play MP3 disks.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Like CH said. there are three units used. The base, the single disc premium which will play mp3 cd's, and the 6-disc premium.

Sounds like your base LS came with the base radio.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 AM

Didn't he say he can burn mp3's and get them to play? He just can't get more than 20 or so on a cd-r. I'm not an expert, but I burned a bunch of songs recorded at 320kbps onto cd-r and get about the same thing. Is there a way of compressing the space and maintaining the audio quality? If you get 100-120 songs on 1 CD-R it would seem the only way to do it would be to record it at much lower kbps rates and deal with the lower quality...is this correct???
Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 AM

I'm having trouble making any MP3 cds work in it... I can burn them with windows media which makes them .cda files and they play fine but you can only fit like 20 on a cd where you can fit like 100 mp3s in folders on a reg cd-r.
Originally Posted by hhrmajesty
Didn't he say he can burn mp3's and get them to play?
Looks like he can't make any mp3's work.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 AM

According to the GM Canada web site (http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehi...r/hhr_opti.jsp) the base CD player does not support MP3 playback. Only the upgraded single disc and 6-disc changer can play MP3s.

The owners manual is generic and covers all the available radio options for the HHR.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:59 AM

.cda file is a cd audio file, not .mp3 file format
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Ok I feel stupid asking this since I do work a lot in car audio but I bought a new 07 LS less than a week ago and wanted to keep the factory deck in it but....

The owners manual says it supports mp3 files AND folders so I should be fine but when I put the disk in it just says error and ejects it...

I really need some help with this since I am about ready to rip that stock cd player out of there for a double din Alpine deck or something...

Thanks in advance!!!
I have no trouble playing my MP3s, in folders or out. Just my 2cents, but if you can play the other type, something must be up --can your dealer point you to a help desk (actual human being) phone number?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Looks like he can't make any mp3's work.

Agreed, I think he has the base radio. Therefore no MP3 playback.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:24 PM

oh...

Quick Reply: Burning MP3 cds for 07 LS