Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Burning MP3 cds for 07 LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 AM

Need Help Too

OK...Can someone explain how this folders thing works with mp3's. I have hundreds of mp3's on my computer at 320kbps and would love to burn a hundred or more on a single cd maintaining sound quality. Can it be done?? If so, how do I do it? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 AM

Most popular 'cd burning software' Roxio, Nero, etc... has the MP3 CD mode. or you can do it just as a data cd (i think) when picking items to add to project , choose the folder that contains the MP3's (i.e. album name) then burn CD then the MP3 player radio will show the folders on the cd and play those
Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
Most popular 'cd burning software' Roxio, Nero, etc... has the MP3 CD mode. or you can do it just as a data cd (i think) when picking items to add to project , choose the folder that contains the MP3's (i.e. album name) then burn CD then the MP3 player radio will show the folders on the cd and play those
Sure is simple when you know how! Burned as data and all is good!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 PM

One thing I have noticed with the MP3 playback is that the player is really slow reading the MP3 CDs as well as switching songs.

All of my MP3s are ripped at 192kbps and it's slow to read them. Might be the CD as well.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Nope, it takes the deck's little mind awhile to process all that information. Think about it, a standard cd has 10-15 files, an mp3 disc may have several hundred files. The processor in the deck has to actually read the file names of all those files and store the filenames in memory so it knows where to go when you tell it play. It takes a few seconds to read 10-15 files, several tens of seconds to read several hundred filenames.

For Eldon:
I too have an LS but a 2006. I had to swap out the deck to get mp3 capability, since the base unit that came in mine did not have mp3 capability. I don't know if that also applies to 2007 LS's but I suspect it does.

It is a cheap fix and easily doable.
1. Find someone here or on that OTHER forum that has a single CD mp3 capable deck and is swapping it out for an aftermarket head unit and purchase it from them; that's what I did $65 including shipping.
2. Swap head units, takes about an hour.
3. Go to your dealer and have them reprogram your radio so that the car will recognize it, will cost you about $40, but make sure and call several dealers to get quotes before you go in - many dealers want $80-$100, I got mine done for $39.95+tax.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by longhorn
.cda file is a cd audio file, not .mp3 file format
duh, exactly...

to make an MP3 disc work, u have to MAKE an MP3 disc

use whatever cd burner app you have and make a DATA cd, not music, not anything else....and dont use WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER to burn

use roxio or Nero

edit - ah hell i guess everyone beat me to the answer... and with an mp3 disc it doesnt matter to what bit rate your mp3s were encoded too, it makes no difference in the playback of the cd plpayer, u just wont be able to fit as many on a disc
Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
duh, exactly...

to make an MP3 disc work, u have to MAKE an MP3 disc

use whatever cd burner app you have and make a DATA cd, not music, not anything else....and dont use WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER to burn

use roxio or Nero

edit - ah hell i guess everyone beat me to the answer... and with an mp3 disc it doesnt matter to what bit rate your mp3s were encoded too, it makes no difference in the playback of the cd plpayer, u just wont be able to fit as many on a disc
OK...a couple of questions...I used Windows Media Player version 11 to burn CD's with no problem. What's wrong with it? How can the bit rate NOT make a difference in audio quality. The higher the kbps the better the quality should be...am I missing something??
Old 02-28-2007, 08:44 PM

You can always plug in an Mp3 device. I plug in my PSP
Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hhrmajesty
OK...a couple of questions...I used Windows Media Player version 11 to burn CD's with no problem. What's wrong with it? How can the bit rate NOT make a difference in audio quality. The higher the kbps the better the quality should be...am I missing something??
well i guess its personal preference....

encoding bitrates dont make much of a difference, unless u have dog ears, and can tell the difference... i have 64K and 96K encoded mp3s and they sound just as good as some that i have that are FLACs or 320K mp3s...
i was talking about when the cd player READS the disc for playback, that bitrate makes no difference, since the person was saying that the disc takes a while to read and that thier files were 192K mp3s

MP3 is considered "lossy" encoding, meaing that if you try to make it back into a "lossless" file, e.g. a WAV, it looses some bits and whatnot...so the higher the bitrate doesnt make much of a difference(read above again)..if you want an EXACT copy of your cd, you can use FLAC, APE, SHN files or keep them as a WAV(too big), and those files will not lose any bits/info when encoded back into a WAV or burned to a cd
Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM

I do all of my files at 128 and the quality is fine. It takes a very good ear on a very good system to notice a difference.

I use WMP and have no issues. I just make sure I burn the as data files! 8-10 full length cd's per burned cd!

Last edited by GDZHHR; 03-01-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Burning MP3 cds for 07 LS